Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coil Mod 11 Jun 2007 05:05 #148238

• Christo
  • Christo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I know that this topic has been well covered but I have some questions that I cant find answers for. i tried the coil mod a while back but could not find the wire from the kil switch,got frustrated and left it alone. My bike is now demonstrating all the symptoms that the coil mod covers, sooty plugs fouling, sputtering etc. I checked the voltage at the coils and it is about 10.7v The mechanic at the shop I deal with thinks my problem is bad gas, I do have some rust in my tank but not really that much and I have some doubts about it. So...what I need to know is

- can I use one of the existing coil power wires for the trigger ?
- does it matter which power wire is on which side red on right green on left or vise versa
- this may be a dumb question but there are two wires going into the coil, power and ground I guess, does it matter which is on which post ? they arent marked and I'm afraid of crossing them.

I apreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil Mod 11 Jun 2007 06:07 #148253

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Christo wrote:

- can I use one of the existing coil power wires for the trigger ?

Yes! That is what I did on all mine. It makes the most sense to me.

- does it matter which power wire is on which side red on right green on left or vise versa

Hmm. Not sure what you mean by this. Must be a dual-coil question, and I only have a single coil, so I'm unfamiliar with the wire colors. I would have to believe though that on a four, the think that matters is which points is connected to which coil, not which power. The power is power is power. The points (ground) connection is the thing that fires the coil, and on a four, that matters alot... ;)

- does it matter which is on which post ?

Nope! It works either way.

B)

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/06/11 09:08

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/06/11 09:10
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Coil Mod 11 Jun 2007 06:41 #148272

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
On my four, the coils are powered by a red (possably red/yellow, but deffinitly red in there). My red has a dual connector to split power to both coils. Disconect the red to both coils, and this Red will feed the Relay (just one red if you have two). Now you will need to bring a wire that splits into two from the Relay to feed the two coils.
The only other connections to the coils are the green and black (your colors may be different) which come from the Ignition (points or electronic).

You don't want to cross (switch) the red with a green. Keep red to red, green to green, black to black (if those are your colors).

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2007/06/11 09:44
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: