Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1977 KZ650 still will not start! 10 Jun 2007 22:04 #148206

• Deodra
  • Deodra's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just changed the coils and she still will not start. The points look fine and it turns over very well each time I try to kick start. No spark at the plugs. Are there any relays or anything I can try to replace? I am pretty much to the point of taking it to some bike shop that will actually work on an old bike. Most of the shops around here will not work on an old bike- I know- I have called. Thanks for any and all help! Have a great night!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ650 still will not start! 10 Jun 2007 22:08 #148208

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
did the bike run before you changed the coils? if so check all the connections one loose one could make it not start or have no spark. make sure that the connections are good going from the coils to the main harness. I know this may sound stupid but, make sur that the kill switch is on the run position, i have did that before.

Post edited by: oldkaws4ever, at: 2007/06/11 01:35
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

1977 KZ650 still will not start! 11 Jun 2007 06:23 #148259

• bemoore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Check the voltage at the coils. Mine had about 10V at the coils.

Also check the points. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but if you measure the voltage at the same place you'd connect a dwell meter, you can turn over the engine and verify that the voltage goes high and low when the points open and close. If the voltage stays high, the points aren't closing. If the voltage stays low, the point MAY not be opening, or you may not be getting current from the coils, or the points may not be opening. Since this bike has a dual point system you'll have to do this check at two places.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

1977 KZ650 still will not start! 11 Jun 2007 16:08 #148453

• Deodra
  • User
Thanks for the info guys! Well, my killswitch is stuck in the run position so I can't turn that... Maybe that's where my problem lies- I may try to splice the wires up there together...

When replacing points- do I need two or four (one set or two sets)?

Also, when starting my olde Honda I did not need a battery- good or bad- in the bike to start it up. Is this the same for olde Kawasaki's? Or do I need a battery- good or bad- to complete the circuit? I am still not getting any spark and I am beginning to wonder if I should start experimenting with this... I have a new battery that I now have fully charged and am thinking I should throw it in the bike tonight and see if having a battery in the bike will make any difference with kick starting. Obviously, I can't (and have not tried because my starter clutch is toast) use the electric start on the bike without the battery.

Any info? Thanks!

1977 KZ650 still will not start! 11 Jun 2007 16:19 #148454

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
You need a battery to start, and after it starts (hopeful thinking), you need a battery as a load for the charging system. If the battery is not there the volts will run to high levels and burn out all your light bulbs. This happened to me once when the negative terminal broke off the battery so I know first hand. Check voltage on the red/yellow wire on the coils like already mentioned. If it's not around 12v the motorcycle will never run. In this case most likely either broken wiring to your kill switch or a bad kill switch itself.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

1977 KZ650 still will not start! 11 Jun 2007 16:48 #148464

• Deodra
  • User
Thanks! That helps!

• Page: