Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Acewell speedo/computer 03 Jun 2007 15:00 #145952

• Fossil
  • Fossil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
At first I was kinda disappointed with the performance of the Acewell speedo, but now that I've had a chance to finish the wiring, setup the speedo magnet and sensor, and program the unit, I'm pretty happy with it, especially the price.
Pic of Acewell magnet epoxied to rim, sensor is tie wrapped inside the fender parallel to the rim/magnet.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 10:03 #146875

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Have you checked the accuracy with a GPS? Just curious how far it is off, or if it is off at all.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 10:28 #146879

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I did the same thing but I have cateye
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 10:31 #146881

• kzwolfsr
  • User
plus I set the speedo to 187 or 186 for wheel size and I use those speed radar signs to check my speed to see if its correct. As for your 16 inch wheels I am not sure if what to do
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 11:53 #146899

• Fossil
  • User
Nope, don't think it's accurate - I think it's reading lower than the actual speed, though I haven't had a chance to check it to anything. The Acewell instructions do provide a number to punch in for 17" wheels so it is calibrated correctly.

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 12:18 #146903

• kzwolfsr
  • User
I wouldn't go by what the instructions say if its for a bicycle. My computer is actually set to something close to a 24 inch wheeel, so just look out!

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 13:27 #146927

• Allshookup
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am looking at buying one of the Acewell 2753 gauges very soon. After everything is said in done would you recommend them?

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 13:27 #146928

• Allshookup
  • User
I am looking at buying one of the Acewell 2753 gauges very soon. After everything is said in done would you recommend them?

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 14:31 #146934

• Fossil
  • User
kzwolfsr wrote:

I wouldn't go by what the instructions say if its for a bicycle. My computer is actually set to something close to a 24 inch wheeel, so just look out!

They're specifically made for motorcycle, ATV and automotive use.

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 14:41 #146935

• Fossil
  • User
Allshookup wrote:

For the price, compared to what other motorcycle computers go for, yes. For a custom look, or to make it legal, sure, but you do only get what you pay for.
The only reason I bought one was because I didn't have a speedo drive on the wheel I used and somebody here "highly recommended" it, but turned out that was before he had installed it.
Stock factory instruments are way better.

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 14:51 #146939

• Voodoosoup
  • User
Fossil wrote:

At first I was kinda disappointed with the performance of the Acewell speedo, but now that I've had a chance to finish the wiring, setup the speedo magnet and sensor, and program the unit, I'm pretty happy with it, especially the price.
Pic of Acewell magnet epoxied to rim, sensor is tie wrapped inside the fender parallel to the rim/magnet.

I believe it is supposed to be installed perpendicular to the magnets travel and in the same direction as the "vibration" in which case this would be the motion of the forks up and down. Then the center of the magnet has to cross the sensor at the line at either end.

I haven't taken anyone out to pace along side yet, but it seems fairly accurate. I also wrapped a piece of masking tape around my front wheel and marked it where it overlapped. I then took it off and stuck it to the garage floor and measured between my two marks to get the true circumference of the wheel. I converted the measurement to mm and entered it into the gauge.

Acewell speedo/computer 06 Jun 2007 14:59 #146943

• Fossil
  • User
Voodoosoup wrote:

Fossil wrote:

I believe it is supposed to be installed perpendicular to the magnets travel and in the same direction as the "vibration" in which case this would be the motion of the forks up and down. Then the center of the magnet has to cross the sensor at the line at either end.

I haven't taken anyone out to pace along side yet, but it seems fairly accurate. I also wrapped a piece of masking tape around my front wheel and marked it where it overlapped. I then took it off and stuck it to the garage floor and measured between my two marks to get the true circumference of the wheel. I converted the measurement to mm and entered it into the gauge.

That makes sense, I read "direction of vibration" as a bad translation with vibration meaning rotation. Now the "lines" mean something. Thanks. I'm going to remount the pickup now.

• Page: