Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

79 kz650 starter help 26 May 2007 20:00 #143813

• moobiondi
  • moobiondi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 79 kz650 Last year when I bought the bike the stater sounded like the bendix was not coming out far enough and grind on the flywheel. So i bought a used one on ebay this yaer and the same thing. Is it that I have the something wrong or just 2 bad starters? Tha bike starts great with the kickstarter so i havn't missed the starter but i would like to get this fixed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79 kz650 starter help 26 May 2007 20:10 #143820

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
There is no bendix and no flywheel in the automotive sense. The starter is constantly meshed and kept from spinning when the engine is running by an over running clutch.

Replacement requires removing the exhaust, dropping the pan, taking off the clutch cover and clutch and then the secondary shaft can be removed where the starter clutch is mounted.

I did one this spring and from my experience it's not hard to do with the bike on the centerstand. If you order the one-way assembly from Ron Ayers or some such, it comes with the rollers springs and pins.

Again, it's not hard, but I wouldn't recommend it to a novice for their first motorcycle repair job.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: