Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 22 May 2007 21:06 #142637

• moonwell
  • moonwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just acquired my '77 KZ900. See more on the history of the bike here in my intro thread .

Anyway, It has no spark. All other electrical works except the headlight. Bike has a Dyna III ignition system. The first time I cranked it over, I got some smoke that appeared to come from the DIII box. Subsequent cranks got no smoke. So I'm assuming the box is fried.

I've got 12v to the yellow/red wire to the coils, and power going into the DIII box. But the black & green wires from the box to the coils are only at .5-.75v whether the ignition is just on or it is cranking.

Can I just swap in a Dyna S ignition? Was anything I need for the DS to work removed when the DIII was installed? The DIII doesn't seem to be available for the Kaws anymore.

Click the below thumbnails for larger pics of everything. There are a lot of plugs & wires that aren't connected to anything, but none of that should have changed since the last time the bike actually ran, about 7 years ago. Any idea what some of these disconnected wires might be? Thanks for an help or insight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 22 May 2007 21:35 #142645

• moonwell
  • User
Of course after posting this, I found the instructions for the DIII and DS on the dyna Web site. Looks like the DynaS would hook right up in its place.

Think I am safe in assuming it is the DIII that has failed?

Post edited by: moonwell, at: 2007/05/23 00:36

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 23 May 2007 00:11 #142664

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The readings you have are not bad. The green wire, and the black wire will have close to zero volts when the bike is sitting or running. To see the voltage fluctuate you need to turn the crank over very very slowly. The voltage on the black and green coil wires will only briefly go to 12v, that is only for a small portion of the crank rotation.

I believe the III should be more reliable than the S because some of the electronics are away from the engine on the III, but I don't know for sure.

The black-green-yellow wire connector may be for a brakelight failure device.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/05/23 03:13

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 23 May 2007 05:05 #142699

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Before pitching the Dyna III, contact Dynatek and talk to their tech support folks. They probably have some way of determining if their box fried. The Dyna S is very inexpensive and simple to install, if you need to go in that direction. It is likely less expensive to pick one up from www.z1enterprises.com than from Dynatek directly. I guess you already have Dynatek's website if you found their instruction .pdf files.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 23 May 2007 07:00 #142723

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
if you will call them, they will let you send it in with a rma number, look it over, if its bad they offerd me a upgrade at a very good price, think it was about 60 bucks.
got to say they were very helpful
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 24 May 2007 05:20 #143046

• moonwell
  • User
I did a few more test last night, including disconnecting the the sensor wires & grounding one of them, which according to dyna should result in the plug firing whenever it is grounded. I ohmed the coils & everything looks good there.

I'll be calling dyna today to see if they can do anything for me, otherwise I'll just pick up the dyna S from Z1.

KZ900 Ignition Diagnosis 28 May 2007 16:28 #144335

• moonwell
  • User
I called up Dyna last week. They'll hook me up with the Dyna S for $69 after they test my old unit. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, since I was looking into the S anyway :)

Shipped them the III last week. They should have that on Wed. Hopefully their turnaround is quick :)

• Page: