Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

voltage regulator 22 May 2007 19:37 #142612

• boomboom45
  • boomboom45's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
the old voltage regulator on my bike ended in a 8.6 off to the side. the new one has a 8.7, will this make a huge differance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

voltage regulator 23 May 2007 05:15 #142703

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
No idea what you are talking about. Since no one else has chimed in, very likely no one else does either. What is an 8.6 or 8.7 and what does it have to do with a voltage regulator?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

voltage regulator 23 May 2007 09:10 #142748

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I think he means the part number stamped on the unit? But that is an oem supply number and not necessarily a Kawy number, so I can't help him. Maybe others with the same bike as his might be able to look at their rec/reg to confirm the numbers.

voltage regulator 23 May 2007 10:41 #142778

• boomboom45
  • User
thats exactly it. its the number next to the part number. sh-221 and than some other numbers.....followed by an 8.6 on what i took off, and what i put on same part number but an 8.7 will that make a differance? sorry about the confusion. the local kawa shop says no, but i would prefer someone's advice who knows the bike.

voltage regulator 23 May 2007 11:05 #142792

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
It may be something benign like a date-of-manufacture code. If the plugs and wiring are the same, it's pretty much 99.99% sure that it's compatible.

Kz's have many reg/recs that can be swapped from model to model.

voltage regulator 23 May 2007 11:34 #142798

• boomboom45
  • User
that was what i was hoping someone would say, now i have to solve this other issue, why are the wires getting hot. tested the stator, and that is fine, but the wires going from stator to regulator are getting hot enough to burn through the insulation and fuse together. any hints on where to look?

voltage regulator 23 May 2007 11:54 #142806

• anarki650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
First, check all the connections to ensure they are good and solid (put some dielectric grease on each when putting the connections back together). Next check all ground wires that even remotely relate to the charging system. If you're still getting hot wires, check the insulation along all the wires, make sure you don't have anything grounding to the frame or other metal bits.
If none of these things, or replacing the reg/rec like you're doing, helps I'm not sure where else to look.
09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

voltage regulator 26 May 2007 06:51 #143614

• boomboom45
  • User
ok, did some looking, its the red and white wire that is now getting hot. its the wire that goes to the ignition switch. just a curious thing i was thinking about, could it be the starter that is messed up? my electric starter doesnt work.

voltage regulator 26 May 2007 08:28 #143626

• anarki650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Did you check all the wires in the ignition switch assembly to make sure nothing has worn through insulation and is now arching? That's where I'd look first. Sounds like you've got a bad wire somewhere in the harness that's causing issues, and the only way you'll find it is to trace all the wires and check every connection. It's a pain in the a$$, but when I didn't do that because I didn't want to spend an afternoon digging through a wiring harness I ended up with an electrical fire right under my gas tank, which was a bit scary!!!
09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

voltage regulator 29 May 2007 08:17 #144514

• boomboom45
  • User
hell yeah it even makes me pucker thinking about that. guess ill be checking those wires for awhile. thanks for the suggestions.

voltage regulator 29 May 2007 09:28 #144534

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
That wire coming out of the reg/rec often gets warm. It's the main output from the reg/rec, and cariies the load of the bike and re-charges the battery. If the battery is low, it has to deliver more current than normal and will definitely get hot from that.

However, it shouldn't melt. If it's getting real hot, the most likely cause is a bad connection on that wire. Make sure the connection for that wire is real good. If the wire is burned or looks weak, then it needs to be replaced, or it may melt.

• Page: