Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Points question on a KZ305 22 May 2007 08:28 #142389

• sorner
  • sorner's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
First of all, is it possible to change this over to electronic ignition? I know it is on the bigger engines. Second. I've been noticing an intermittent misfire which I thought was the carb being dirty or out of wack. I checked all of that out and everything is good there. I ripped them down, cleaned them, synced, and replaced and no different. Also, sometimes it idles well, and sometimes it will just die at a stop light. I think the points are shot. There is sparking when I take the cover off and start the engine. Is this normal? There is also a little bit of white crust like corrosion on the pads that contact each other. That's what leads me to believe they need replaced. Another thing I noticed this morning as I was riding to work (I carry a small toolkit with me) and the engine just went flat on me like it was out of gas and I knew it wasn't. It started backfiring heavily and had no power what so ever. I managed to get it into a parking lot and shut it down. I took out my trusty screwdriver and took the points cover off, and a puff of steam came out of that area. The points themselves were extremely hot also, when I touched one with my glove it actually melted it. That was the first thing I noticed. The second thing I noticed was there is only part of a gasket around the outside. I've never had that cover off so apparently someone else did and never replaced the gasket. Is there an actual replacement gasket for that or am I going to have to go get some form-a-gasket crap and fix it that way? I'm sure that should be sealed up to keep the dampness out, right? I've already ordered the points/condensor replacements, but I want to do something about the gasket while I have it apart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points question on a KZ305 22 May 2007 09:00 #142401

• wireman
  • Visitor
you should be able to get a gasket check z1 enterpises if there is a drain hole on bottem of cover leave it open so condensation doesnt build up inside ;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/05/22 12:04

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/05/22 12:05
Attachments:

Points question on a KZ305 22 May 2007 09:22 #142410

• sorner
  • sorner's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
There is no drain hole. Should there be? If so, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a gasket?

Points question on a KZ305 22 May 2007 10:49 #142440

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The gasket stops water from getting in from above, but the drain hole lets it out in case it gets in. The drain may just be a tiny notch in the bottom part of the gasket surface.

• Page: