Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Possibly bad points? 20 May 2007 13:06 #141754

• twisted85
  • twisted85's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok...i just picked up a 1976 KZ 400. It's a freebie...so keep that in mind. Motor turns over...has compression, but doesn't start. I'm going to get a new battery (it looks to have seen better days), plugs (these as well), and wires. Is is possible that the points are bad? Any info would be helpful. thanx!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possibly bad points? 20 May 2007 14:49 #141770

• wireman
  • Visitor
do they look burned,pitted?;)

Possibly bad points? 20 May 2007 17:03 #141829

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You just have to go through the troubleshooting procedure (and have a manual for your particular Bike!}. Fire/Fuel?
The first thing I do when I get a Bike is clean/change EVERYTHING that has to do w/motor running! Plugs/Points/Carbs/Tank/Oil.
Does the oil look ok, if the inside of the gas tank looks questionable (does it have foreign matter in it or look rusty, does the fuel come out the fuel line clean?) I by pass it. Are points/plugs adjusted correctly, ? If you don't know carbs you can usually drop the bowel and see if they looks dirty (9 times out of 10 if it has been sitting for very long the carbs need special attention).
Happy wrenching!!!!
You got a good bike there to get up and running!

Possibly bad points? 20 May 2007 17:30 #141839

• Dutch Masters
  • User
I just took my 79 kz400 for the first ride around the block, but I couldn't have done it with out the help of this site and www.kz400.com and www.kz400.com/fourm

They have most of the manuals that you will need up loaded, and know just about everything that there is to know about these bikes.

Possibly bad points? 20 May 2007 20:26 #141876

• twisted85
  • twisted85's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
thanks guys...ill check into it all. this is my first bike and i do know carbs...and a little bit about points. but thats about all i know so its a good lesson im going to get. this thing sat in a barn since 1983...so im sure the carbs need ALOT of tlc lol. thanks guys...if i have anymore questions hopefully you'll all be as helpful as now!

• Page: