• Page:

TOPIC:

mystery wire 18 May 2007 21:45 #141409

• zim6000
  • zim6000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
First off I'm retarded, I have a 1983 kz750 spectre
that was crashed and I had to order the advancer off ebay.

Anyway while I was waiting for the part to arrive I thought it would be a great idea to take apart most of the wiring harness so I could move it to a different area of the bike.

Well guess what, now I can't remember where every thing goes. I but it back together and the lights work so do the gauges but when I try to start it it does nothing at all. I have a few wires that I am not sure where to put them.

I've checked everything I can think of fuses,all connections are snapped tight,brand new battery,the kill
switch is not on. Also tried many different wire configurations (some of which made pretty sparks lol)
hope I didn't fry anything. I got a multimeter but have no idea how to use it properly.

Ok to the mystery wire its a black and yellow wire about 10 inches long with a male lead on one end and
a large flat ring on the other end. I think I have the male end in the right place but not sure if the ring goes on the bat or grounded to the frame.

I have a wiring diagram but it is not in color and I really can't tell whats what anyway.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mystery wire 18 May 2007 23:10 #141414

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Black with a yellow stripe should be ground. There is usually only one ring terminal to the battery, so it should probably go to a bolt somewhere. If that wire goes to the starter solenoid then skip the rest of this and go straight to the last sentences.

If your starter is not working you will need to follow the wiring, something must be unplugged or plugged in wrong. I'm assuming when you say the kill switch is not on you mean it's in the RUN position, not OFF. The starter will not crank in the off position. There are a few other things that can interupt the starter circuit, there is a neutral safety switch on the clutch handle, and obviously the ignition itself. It's not unusual to have "extra" wires that don't go anywhere, my bike has a few on the top of the frame in the big mess of conenctors, and a few more in the headlight bucket that are not used. In the future, it's a good idea to grab some masking tape and just put a number on each side of the wire before you disconnect it so when you go to put it all back you just match the numbers up :)

Ok, some things you can check with the meter. Put it on DC volts, probably has a 20V setting. Ground the black lead. Take the red lead and with the key on, kill switch on RUN, check the lug on the ignition coil with the yellow/red wire. Should read 12V or so. If that is ok then the kill switch should be ok. (if you turn the kill switch to off the voltage should drop to 0)
Next you need to find your starter solenoid. It has the big red wire from the battery going to it. You need to probe the SMALL black wire. It should have 12V to it when the starter button is pushed and the clutch is IN. If no voltage there you need to trace that black wire. I think you will find the clutch switch is connected in the headlight bucket, the wire should be black the whole way. Should run from the start button, through the clutch switch, then to the solenoid. If by some miracle that checks out alright and you have voltage to the solenoid, then you are probably missing ground. On my bike I think the ground starts off as yellow/red and then later becomes black/yellow. If that is the wire you have in your hands that you dont know where to connect then you already found the problem :)

mystery wire 18 May 2007 23:56 #141418

• zim6000
  • zim6000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
WOW THANKS it was the neutral safety switch on the clutch. I checked all the wiring like you said and still nothing then I looked at the clutch and noticed it was kinda tapped funny wiggled it and the wires fell out lol. put them together and hit the start button and it turned over it WAS AWESOME. The bike is striped down right now no carb or anything just the frame and motor.

Now that it turns over I have a new problem I got a new
advancer timer and don't now how to set it up If you could point me in the right direction for that I'll name my first born AR15Ron. lol

Thanks SO much

• Page: