Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brake light busted 12 May 2007 19:23 #139551

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been studying the wiring diagram and it has led me no where. I checked the connections to the best of my ability. Followed each the brown and blue wire all the way through. Both look ok. I also got new bulbs and they didnt do the trick.

Heres the problem, my brake lights are not being activated by either pressure switch. Is there a relay, a main power source, tiny gremlin hidden under the tank that I am still missing??

I was also thinking as I was reading the archives that they might be stuck ON. There are two filiments in the bulbs. When my bike is on, both filiments are glowing, and when the switch is pressed, one should glow brighter? Is that right?

Its time for inspection and this won't cut it!! :ohmy:

Thanks!
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

brake light busted 12 May 2007 19:46 #139557

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
No Squints.. you got it wrong about the bulb... two filaments... a 7w and a 23w specifically. They are powered by two totally different sub-circuits. The RED sub-circuit powers the 7w filament which is the RUNNING light. This 7w filament burns all the time. When you press the brake pedal or brake lever, the BLUE wire to your tail light comes hot and lights the 23w filament. Here is how it happens. Power runs to your ignition switch via a fat white wire. When your key is in the ON position, it lights up a BROWN and RED sub-circuit. The running light comes on because the red hot lights the bulb. The BROWN sub-circuit goes to both your front brake switch and rear brake switch. When the switches close, they make contact and power flows through the switch and goes to a blue sub-circuit. The blue wire goes to your brake light where it lights up your 23w filament. There are no relays or anything like that. If both filaments are lit, it is because the wiring is messed up in some way I can't figure without knowing more OR (MORE LIKELY),one of the two brake light switches are hung... most likely the rear brake light switch which is "adjustable". There is a plunger arm that pulls down when the pedal is depressed and this closes a contact in the swtich. If it isn't adjusted right, it may be in contact all the time.

Just to confuse you, there is yet a 3rd hot wire coming off the ignition switch when the switch is in the run position and it is blue. It has nothing to do with the blue brake light sub-circuit. Its function is to power the headlight... it runs into the left switchgear and provides power to the hi/low beam switch. If your bike is equipped with an on/off switch for the headlight, the blue will first run to the right switch gear (might be blue/white in this case) and come out blue through the switch and then go to the left switchgear to power the headlight... again this blue wiring has nothing to do with the tail light function.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

brake light busted 12 May 2007 20:13 #139566

• vach
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
:blink:
1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

brake light busted 27 May 2007 17:28 #144061

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
big thanks to wiredgeorge. it was the rear brake switch afterall. Too it off and disassembled it, moved some connections, greased it up and I was back in business.

Again, thanks for the science lesson dude
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

• Page: