Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 12 May 2007 17:10 #139507

• Tower_Monkey1
  • Tower_Monkey1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone have the correct readings or measurements for the stator and regulator/rectifier on a 78 KZ650C2. The readings or measurements for the 77 wont work for the 78 as the 78 has a different stator and reg/rect. I have a manuel for the 77 and the stator is very different for my model. Buykawasaki also shows two stators for the 650. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Wayne

P.S. If someone could copy from thier manuel the section on testing the stator and reg/rect. I would be greatfull.
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 12 May 2007 18:42 #139539

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Here are the tests for the alternator.
As per Clymer manual:
1. Perform steps 1 to 5 as per alternator removal:
1. Place Bike on centerstand
2. Shift transmission into neutral
3. Remove the 4 screws securing the alternator
cover assembly
4. Remove the left hand foot peg and gear shift
5. Remove the 2 bolts securing the starter cover
and remove it.
2. Use an Ohmmeter set to R X 1 and measure the
restistance between the 2 yellow leads from the
alternator. The value should be about 0.4 ohms. If
the reading is greater the specified or shows
infinity the stator has an open and must be replaced.
3. Change the meter setting to the hightest range and
measure the resistance between each yellow lean and
a ground. The meter should indicate infinity; if it
doesn't this indicates a short and the stator must
be replaced.

There is also a note that if the stator windings resistance is within the specified range, but the voltage output is incorrect the rotor has probably lost some of it's magnetism and must be replaced. In my opinion, possible but highly unlikely, but that's just my opinion. If you want more left me know, I need the typing practice,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Install all parts removed.

do you want the regulator tests too?

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a test somewhere,, might have been with the intructions that came with my regulator, that at 4000 rpm you should be reading about 70 volts AC on the 2 yellow wires coming out of the alternator,,, hopefully someone will verify this one though.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/05/12 21:52
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 12 May 2007 18:57 #139541

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/05/19 16:49
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 15 May 2007 16:41 #140405

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
MilkMan, thanks for the readings. Yes I think I will need the readings/measurement procedure for the rectifier as well. Im going to have to find a book for the 78 and sell my 77 manuel. Thanks Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 15 May 2007 19:09 #140444

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Regulator/Rectifier testing:
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 16 May 2007 09:00 #140595

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Tower_Monkey1 wrote:

. . .Does anyone have the correct readings or measurements for the stator and regulator/rectifier on a 78 KZ650C2. . .

If your unit is a two-wire-alternator, it is what I have, and this thread 68 vac is lower than spec might help.

Glad others have posted into this thread . . . maybe the magic decoder ring is located somewhere around here.

:lol:

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 18 May 2007 11:45 #141324

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
Ok I just used a Sperry DM-4100A meter and got the following readings, stator wires, yellow and yellow I got 0.6 and 0.7 .. yellow (+) and black (-) didn't get a reading on either of the yellow (-) and black (+) wires in either combination . On the reg/rec I didn't get a reading of any kind on any wires. I did test both of the reg/rec that I have for the bike and got the same NO reading on either. I take it that Im going to need a stator and reg/rec for my bike, correct ? On the plug coming from the stator where all three wires meet, two yellow and a black , Its melted a little as if it was getting hot. The wires are also brittle , but still connected to the three prong plug. Thanks for the help guys and I'll wait for your verdict on my problem, how ever it turns out. Wayne

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 18 May 2007 22:10 #141411

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Tower_Monkey1 wrote:

Ok I just used a Sperry DM-4100A meter and got the following readings, stator wires, yellow and yellow I got 0.6 and 0.7 .. yellow (+) and black (-) didn't get a reading on either of the yellow (-) and black (+) wires in either combination . On the reg/rec I didn't get a reading of any kind on any wires. I did test both of the reg/rec that I have for the bike and got the same NO reading on either. I take it that Im going to need a stator and reg/rec for my bike, correct ? On the plug coming from the stator where all three wires meet, two yellow and a black , Its melted a little as if it was getting hot. The wires are also brittle , but still connected to the three prong plug. Thanks for the help guys and I'll wait for your verdict on my problem, how ever it turns out. Wayne

It looks to me like you passed all of the ohm tests, as far as a modern digital meter would go. Those tests were written for older, analog meters. The old meters had lower impedance so they were actually innacurate, but the tests results were repeatable among most meters. Modern meters are more accurate, but won't agree with the tests. (Measuring diodes with very high impedance meters shows them to be nearly open. That is actually correct. The problem is that diodes don't behave like resistors. That is why modern meters sometimes have a diode-check feature independent from the ohm scale.)

Anyway, on the reg-rec side of the connector you get no connections, and on the stator side of the connector you should get nothing from black to either yellow. Yellow to yellow should give around .5 to 1 ohm or so.

What voltage is on the battery while idling, and revving?

You may be losing voltage on those burned up wires when they are under load.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/05/19 01:15

78 KZ650C2 stator readings ?? 20 May 2007 19:32 #141864

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
May have just solved the problem. I just won a used stator,flywheel and chrome cover and a reg/rec for $41.50 on e-bay. My battery was cooked as well. It would not take or hold a charge anymore. Battery was about two years old. This is the third battery I have gone through in six years. What got me started on this problem was trying to go for a ride one day and NO spark to one set of plugs. After putting battery charger on battery, I got spark to all the plugs. Took charger off and started and would only run on two cylinders, So did some trouble shooting and feel I have figured it out. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help guys... Wayne

• Page: