Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 06 May 2007 14:32 #137631

• keyzerdm
  • keyzerdm's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just FYI, my Dyna S on my 1978 KZ650 Custom appears to have failed. It is intermittent, which is a nuisance, but I managed to diagnose as probably bad per the Dyna test sheet. Here is the e-mail I sent to them. We'll see how it goes, but it looks like I'm in the market for a new ignition unit.

To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Attn: Warranty Department; Dyna DS2-2 failure

Hi,

After testing with a multimeter as directed by the Dyna test sheet, the pickup module for cylinders 2 and 3 on my DS2-2 appears to have failed. It is an intermittent problem. It works about half the time
or so. When it works, I get about 1 volt between ground and the "green" output/trigger wire when the magnet is not pointed at the module and about 11 volts when the magnet is pointed at the module. When in the failed condition, I read a constant 11 volts between
ground and the "green" output/trigger wire. Tapping the module and jiggling wires has no effect. I have found nothing I can do to make it function or fail, and it does not seem to be temperature dependent. The gap between the rotor and the modules looks good.

The problem started a few weeks ago. Before suspecting the DS2-2, I tried replacing the stock coils with Dyna DC1-1 coils, replacing the plug wires with Dyna wires, and replacing the spark plugs. The
problem remains the same. Primary voltage to the coils from the battery is good. All of the wiring checks out ok.

I purchased my Dyna DS2-2 on March 2, 2006. I am not sure if the problem started before or after March 2, 2007. I understand that your standard warranty for defects is 1 year.

Can my DS2-2 be replaced under warranty? Can I send it back for repair under warranty? If warranty coverage is denied, can I pay for repair, and if so, how much will it cost and how long might it take? If no support is offered, would you like me to return the unit for the company's benefit?

Thank you for your assistance,
David Keyzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 06 May 2007 14:56 #137637

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Nothing wrong with that letter...to the point,and polite.
Good luck with that,and for sure,keep Us informed on how You make out.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 06 May 2007 19:37 #137751

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Just curious, did you solder the red power wire or use the blue connector supplied in the kit? I had problems with my Dyna S and WG said to throw the blue connector away and solder that connection, it runs perfect and have had no problems since.
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 07 May 2007 05:16 #137827

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I called them with what I thought was a ignition problem, they were very helpful and even though mine is the old stlye, they said they would upgrade it for a small fee if I sent it into them.
After talking to them and going over a check list from them I was able to find the problem, had a wire come loose in the harness
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 17 May 2007 16:43 #141091

• keyzerdm
  • User
Yep, soldered the connection but didn't seem to make any difference . . .

The Dyna folks said they would check it out and replace if defective, and they asked me to send them my address so that they could give me a return authorization number. I sent my info about two weeks ago, but I have not heard back from them yet.

Anticipating a delay, I bought a new Dyna S and my bike runs great now. It would be nice if I could get a replacement for the defective one, though. I would either have a spare or maybe I could sell it to recoup some of the cost of the one I had to buy . . .

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 18 May 2007 08:57 #141265

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
With prime riding season just beggining in most parts of the US, chances are that the folks at DYNA are flooded with orders, returns and tech questions.

It's possible that they simply placed your issue in a cue with others experiencing similar problems and will get to each in the order they were recieved, or they simply forgot about it - mistakes happen sometimes.:S

I'd suggest contacting them again and (and as eloquently as you did in your first contact with them) inquire what the status is on your request.
It can't hurt to ask. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 18 May 2007 09:22 #141274

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
A couple of comments. The Dyna-S ignitions can be damaged by either high voltage, or low voltage. The high voltage will spike the unit. So it's worth checking the charging system to make sure your regulator is keeping the voltage in check. You should get getting around 14 volts peak voltage at the battery with the bike running and the rpm over 4,000 rpm. If your voltage is over 15 volts, your regulator has probably failed. Another sign of a failed regulator is the battery boiling dry.

Interestingly, Dynatek says low voltage can damage the units too - I'm not sure I understand why... but I do believe them
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 18 May 2007 12:08 #141329

• wireman
  • Visitor
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

A couple of comments. The Dyna-S ignitions can be damaged by either high voltage, or low voltage. The high voltage will spike the unit. So it's worth checking the charging system to make sure your regulator is keeping the voltage in check. You should get getting around 14 volts peak voltage at the battery with the bike running and the rpm over 4,000 rpm. If your voltage is over 15 volts, your regulator has probably failed. Another sign of a failed regulator is the battery boiling dry.

Interestingly, Dynatek says low voltage can damage the units too - I'm not sure I understand why... but I do believe them

my guess would be that the igniton is trying to do same amount of work with less line voltage causing it to overheat and fail;)

FYI - Dyna DS2-2 failure 23 Jun 2007 10:51 #152077

• keyzerdm
  • User
Just an update:

Several weeks ago I sent an e-mail to Dyna asking about the status, and they said that for some reason the return authorization did not get passed along to me as it should have. No big deal.

I received a replacement Dyna S this week. They said their test results were inconclusive, but they replaced the unit under warranty. So that's good.

I checked the voltage on my bike, and it appears to be about 14v when revved up.

I'm not sure whether to keep the new Dyna S as a spare or try to sell it. I'm not in any hurry either way. The one that I bought seems to be doing fine, and the replacement from Dyna, wrapped in bubble wrap, is a nice decorative piece on my credenza . . .

Thanks for all the help,
Dave

• Page: