• Page:

TOPIC:

how many spins 24 Apr 2007 22:47 #133692

• CBerryment
  • CBerryment's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Folks,

I'm still learning and loving it here... I rebuilt my starter and reinstalled it... I have a couple questions...

First: how fast does the starter have to spin to start the bike easily? Last summer the starter was not pulling its weight and made me look like and idiot....atleast it feels that way when it is your bike that won't start.

I have yet to put the starter case back on and plug the plug wires on and let er rip...

How about some starter theory: What does the starter do? Simply compress the fuel air mixture in the cylinder? If so, does it even have to make a full rotation to do its job? Doesn't it get a lot of assist the first time the piston fires ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how many spins 25 Apr 2007 08:36 #133813

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
It makes things much easier for us if you put the year and model of your bike in your Sig line. To do that:
Click on My Profile
Mouse over Edit
Click on Update My Profile
Click on Forum Settings
Type in the information in the Signature box

As far as how fast the starter spins, I can't find any info for that in my Clymer's manual. Maybe an OEM shop manual does. But, a good guess with my 650, I would say it cranks the engine at about 90 rpm.
If you still have it off, I would take it apart and clean and lube the shafts, and gears in the power end with some never seize.
Also, check the condition of the battery, ie: voltage, acid level and test the acid with a small tester.
Clean the connections when you put them back on. If the bolts that hold the wires on the battery look crappy at all replace them. Clean the connections at the starter well.
Start it up and check for voltage at the battery. It should be from 14.0 to 15.0 volts at 3000 to 4000 RPM.
If not get a manual if you don't already have one and do the tests they explain.
An OEM maual is best if you can find one but a Clymer's is a good second choice.
Good Luck
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: