Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Time to see...Charging system. 23 Apr 2007 20:40 #133284

• PaulW
  • PaulW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Found some really cool driving lights at the local parts store. They're chrome and 55 watts apiece. Will the charging system be up to snuff if I run one for the low beam and both on the high beam??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to see...Charging system. 23 Apr 2007 20:56 #133294

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Not sure on that one,Paul,but I'd sure like to see a pic of the driving lights You picked up...been thinking about getting a set for longer rides that linger into the evening/night...B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Time to see...Charging system. 23 Apr 2007 21:21 #133304

• PaulW
  • User
Sandy wrote:

Not sure on that one,Paul,but I'd sure like to see a pic of the driving lights You picked up...been thinking about getting a set for longer rides that linger into the evening/night...B)

I'll take some pics as soon as I have them mounted. My 7" round light is smashed anyway so I figured I'd give it a little more modern look. Trying to keep the vintage chrome deal, but get ride of the "MadMax" Look at the same time. Lots of more mods to come.

Time to see...Charging system. 24 Apr 2007 10:32 #133477

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
1 bulb should be no problem. Two might be marginal at idle, but should be ok overall. Make sure your fusebox is up to code, that is clean and not burned-looking. :)

I run two 55w headlights on one of my bikes and it's not a problem, except if I do a lot of sitting in traffic and only do a mile or two between electric starts. After a week of that, it may need a trickle charge to top off the battery.

Time to see...Charging system. 26 Apr 2007 13:03 #134259

• PaulW
  • User
loudhvx wrote:

1 bulb should be no problem. Two might be marginal at idle, but should be ok overall. Make sure your fusebox is up to code, that is clean and not burned-looking. :)

I run two 55w headlights on one of my bikes and it's not a problem, except if I do a lot of sitting in traffic and only do a mile or two between electric starts. After a week of that, it may need a trickle charge to top off the battery.

Thanks for the info. I mounted them last night, and at idle running the low beam was no problem, with the high beam on they dimmed, but seemed to have no adverse affect. I checked with the amp clamp and both combined are only drawing 9 amps of power, so I should be ok. I just turned up my Idle to 1800 rpm to compensate.

Time to see...Charging system. 26 Apr 2007 13:38 #134265

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I was referring to replacing the headlight with the driving lights. Are you adding the driving lights to the headlights? 110 watts extra may be too much for the wiring to handle in the long run.

• Page: