Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

headlights out 24 Apr 2007 15:42 #133570

• Booncha57
  • Booncha57's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hows that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

headlights out 24 Apr 2007 18:40 #133618

• Booncha57
  • User
ill also add that i checked the charging system and it seems to be working fine. what is involved in installing a new fuse box? do i have to rewire most of the bike for this install?

headlights out 24 Apr 2007 19:50 #133643

• Booncha57
  • User
sorry, i didnt do my homework. i found what i was looking for in a search. i hope this solves my problem. im going to get a halogen light, fuse box, and electronic flasher tomorrow and pray...

headlights out 24 Apr 2007 20:01 #133646

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Booncha57 - Good stuff!

I changed my fuse box last summer as well. It was worth it. Lets see some pictures when you're done with your fuse box master piece.

You're not that far from Montreal. Cool!

Best of success!
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

headlights out 24 Apr 2007 20:02 #133647

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
Double Post!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/04/24 23:02
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 09:15 #133829

• Booncha57
  • User
yeah bill im about 7 hours i think. i was up there a few years ago. awesome city ya got there! id have to say that was probably my favorite city ive been to. im going to do the fuse box replacement tonight i think. ill try to get some pictures up.

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 13:49 #133886

• Booncha57
  • User
this is not going well. i just did the fuse box replacement and now the tail light isnt working and the gauge lights dont even come on. i took the fuse out and touched the two wires together and it still doesnt do anything. the main circuit is working but thats it. i followed the head light wires up the frame a little bit to the little plastic connector, took that apart and put a test light on there and am getting nothing. should i be getting power there? i dont get anything on any of the wires in the headlight bucket either. when i took that apart i took some tape of what looked to be an open wire and found a sort of round piece of metal, looks like it was broken off something, soldered to a wire and another loose wire touching that. maybe someone thought that would work as a ground? i dont know...where do i start? i dont know much about this stuff. the thing is, the tail lights and the gauge lights were working before i put in the new fuse box, now they dont, and its not the connections in there cause i touched the two wires together with no results.

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 13:53 #133888

• Booncha57
  • User
this is not going well. i just did the fuse box replacement and now the tail light isnt working and the gauge lights dont even come on. i took the fuse out and touched the two wires together and it still doesnt do anything. the main circuit is working but thats it. i followed the head light wires up the frame a little bit to the little plastic connector, took that apart and put a test light on there and am getting nothing. should i be getting power there? i dont get anything on any of the wires in the headlight bucket either. when i took that apart i took some tape of what looked to be an open wire and found a sort of round piece of metal, looks like it was broken off something, soldered to a wire and another loose wire touching that. maybe someone thought that would work as a ground? i dont know...where do i start? i dont know much about this stuff. the thing is, the tail lights and the gauge lights were working before i put in the new fuse box, now they dont, and its not the connections in there cause i touched the two wires together with no results.

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 16:10 #133933

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Booncha57 wrote:

this is not going well. i just did the fuse box replacement and now the tail light isnt working and the gauge lights dont even come on. i took the fuse out and touched the two wires together and it still doesnt do anything. the main circuit is working but thats it. i followed the head light wires up the frame a little bit to the little plastic connector, took that apart and put a test light on there and am getting nothing. should i be getting power there?...

Are you doing your tests w/the ignition key turned on?

[/quote]...i dont get anything on any of the wires in the headlight bucket either. when i took that apart i took some tape of what looked to be an open wire and found a sort of round piece of metal, looks like it was broken off something, soldered to a wire and another loose wire touching that. maybe someone thought that would work as a ground?...[/quote]

This sounds like it is one of the main grounds and on mine is attached at one of the main bucket bolts

[/quote]...i dont know...where do i start? i dont know much about this stuff. the thing is, the tail lights and the gauge lights were working before i put in the new fuse box, now they dont, and its not the connections in there cause i touched the two wires together with no results.[/quote]

If I'm not correct one of the more experienced guys should chime in.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 18:40 #133992

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
One step backwards... two steps forward! No fear, this too will come to pass.

Some feed side basics first.

1) Are the fuses OK? Remove each fuse. Set your Multi-meter to the lowest setting on the Ohm scale. Now check across each removed fuse. Each one should show Zero Ohms or a very low ohm reading. Those that do not are probably blown open and need to be replaced.

2) Reconnect the fuses. Set your multi-meter to DC Volts. Use the next scale higher than 12 Volts. For example 15 or 20 Volts. Attach the Black (-) lead to the Battery negative (-). Move the ignition switch to the ON position. Place the Red (+) lead one both sides of each fuse and as close to the wire part or on the wire itself if possible. In all cases the voltage on both sides of a given fuse should very close. It should be slightly lower on the load side as compared to the feed side or battery side. If not the fuse holder is faulty. Let us know the results, fuse by fuse.

Next the ground basics:
A) Place the Red (+) lead on the Battery positive (+). With the ignition in the OFF position, remove the cover to the Indicator lights and remove the Neutral light bulb. With the ignition in the ON position and using the Black (-) lead check the side (ground part) of the light socket being sure not to touch the centre contact (+12 V part) and causing a short circuit. The meter should read a nominal Battery voltage. If there is no +12 V's displayed then there is not battery ground (-) reaching the socket. This could be a contact problem, an open wire or harness connector problem in the harness. Trace the ground back towards the battery until you find the fault. That wire you reported finding in the head light just might be the problem. You may need to re-attach it to get the ground reconnected.

Sorry, I'm far from my manual so I can't tell you what the colour codes are. Were you able to get your hands on a manual or the correct wiring diagram?

Hope this helps. Best of success!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/04/25 21:48
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 18:40 #133993

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
Double Post!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/04/25 21:43
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada

headlights out 25 Apr 2007 19:37 #134017

• Booncha57
  • User
i was testing everything with the key on and switched from high to low beam to see if that would make a difference but it didnt. i dont know what the deal with that loose wire with the metal thing in the bucket is but i know what youre talking about with the main bucket bolt. i still have the main bucket bolt attached with a ground on that. this other one looks like it may have been that same setup only broken in half. maybe off a parts bike or something. the fuses are new so they should be ok. i will test them anyway. i do have a manual but im not the best at reading the diagram. i can read them but i guess the problem is how to test things, so i appreciate the step by step help. i have a friend coming over to show me what the heck im doing tomorrow. he happens to be an electrical engineer so i hope to do some learning. if you rewire something dont you want to replace wire with the original color if possible? where can you buy all these different colored wire? when i cut into it, the copper wasnt shiny, it was dirty feeling, corroded. im sure this is not helping or could be causing the problem somewhere in there.