Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

550gpz inginition swap 28 Apr 2007 15:07 #135021

• 77street
  • 77street's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So ya the bike is intermitently not running. with lots of work and rewiring I got it to run again but as soon as it cools down I lose spark to 1&4 cylinders. I am very close to getting the dynatech works. but I thought I would see if any of you had any extra pointers. I have completely rewired form the rotating unit to the coils and that seemed to work, I took it for a ride and it ran decently then I let it cool off and it doesn't have spark to 1&4 again, uslaly I can get it to run with just 2&3 then once it gets up to say 2500 rpm's or so 1&4 kick in and I don't have any trouble till it cools off again... anyway I'm rather frustrated with the whole thing...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

550gpz inginition swap 28 Apr 2007 16:32 #135040

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
I feel your pain. I did a similar swap, a KZ1000 electronic into my 650, see the link below.

I got it going last year, but it soon died on me. I found when I tested the IC Igniter, the Red wire failed it's resistance test. I switched back to the points set up for the rest of the year. I made everything plug in, so the swap back and forth was easy.

I found another IC Igniter, and tried to set up the electronic system again this Spring, but again it did not work right. Frustrated, I've put the points on again.

One problem I found, as I had to make the backing plate from the 1000 smaller to fit the 650, is that my mounting holes were not spot on, and the gap between the advancer lobe and pickups were different. I had a larger gap on the left pickup compared to the right. So some adjusting of the mounting holes solved that problem and seemed to help.

I read in a post above that 2.5 ohm coils need to be used. I used stock '78 650 coils, not sure what ohms they are off hand.

Maybe I will try to touble shoot it again, but for now she's running great with the points, so I'm not in a rush.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

550gpz inginition swap 28 Apr 2007 16:53 #135051

• 77street
  • 77street's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ya I have 2.5 ohm dynataech coils on it now, the originals were giving me problems so I ordered some 2.5 wich worked ok with the points and they seem to on the ic unit but this whole intermittent problem is driving me bonkers. I was really just hoping that this system would get me buy until next year when I rebuild everything from the ground up!! money is the problem at this point...:angry:

550gpz inginition swap 28 Apr 2007 22:59 #135160

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You need to determine if it's the pickups or the igniter. If it's the igniter, you can make one for about $30.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

A good test would be to take off the rotor and install it 180 degrees out. Then swap the wires on the pickups. Swap black with yellow, and red with blue. If the problem is still on cylinders 1-4, then the problem is the igniter. If the problem moves to 2-3, then the problem is the black/blue pickup.

• Page: