Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

550gpz inginition swap 18 Apr 2007 14:27 #131608

• 77street
  • 77street's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I know you guy's have talked about this over and over, but I can't figure out what wires go where. I have a 83 gpz550 unit all instaled but I'm not sure how the wires coming out of the electronic unit, conect with the stock wiring harness on my 77650b1. Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

550gpz inginition swap 18 Apr 2007 14:43 #131614

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Do you have the IC igniter too?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

550gpz inginition swap 19 Apr 2007 07:50 #131806

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
77street wrote:

I know you guy's have talked about this over and over, but I can't figure out what wires go where. I have a 83 gpz550 unit all instaled but I'm not sure how the wires coming out of the electronic unit, conect with the stock wiring harness on my 77650b1. Any help would be great.

You put a 550 motor into a 650 frame?

550gpz inginition swap 19 Apr 2007 19:37 #132053

• 77street
  • User
I have the IC unit I just need to know how to hook up the wires to my existing wires on the Kz650. I have three wires off of the points unit, one for each set of points and "the blue one" forgive my ignorance, and I have four wires comming out of the IC unit but I'm not sure what they are. (no I didn't install the gpz motor, next years project to tune up the 550)

550gpz inginition swap 19 Apr 2007 21:54 #132095

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
This method helped me when I switched from points to electronic.
It helps to have a wiring diagram for your 650, and any 550 with electronic ignition. You will have to add a few wires, but it's not a big deal.

Here is what I remember:
Remove your points plate and wires. Your oil pressure switch is inside the ignition housing and the wire runs in the sheath with the points wires. Remove the oil pressure wire from the sheath and attach it back to the switch. Install the advancer and new electronic ignition. Tape up the oil pressure wire and ignition wires, or run the sheath over them all again.

Your igniter has 8 wires. Mount it up somewhere on the right side or under the battery box. The wiring diagram will show you how the four wires from the ignition pickups attach to the igniter, just match up the colors. That was easy.

The other four wires from the igniter are for Power, Ground, Coil for 1+4, Coil for 2+3.

The Power wire is Red/Yellow, the Ground is Black/Yellow. Hook the power wire from the igniter into the same power wire to the coils It's Red/Yellow too.. Hook the ground wire from the igniter to a ground somewhere. You need to add your own connectors and wire for these two hookups.

Coil 1+4 uses the Black wire from the igniter, and coil 2+3 uses the other wire, Green. That's the same wires the bike used when it had points. You may need to add wire here depending on your igniter location.

That's about it, fire it up and see how it runs.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

550gpz inginition swap 19 Apr 2007 21:56 #132098

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
77street wrote:

I have the IC unit I just need to know how to hook up the wires to my existing wires on the Kz650. I have three wires off of the points unit, one for each set of points and "the blue one" forgive my ignorance, and I have four wires comming out of the IC unit but I'm not sure what they are. (no I didn't install the gpz motor, next years project to tune up the 550)

The blue wire to the points is the oil-pressure sender wire. Leave that as is.

The IC igniter uses a pickup plate and rotor/advancer assembly different from the points unit. You have to replace the points plate and rotor/assembly. Then you will have four wires coming off the electronic plate. They will match the four from the IC igniter (black, blue, yellow, red), which go to the small connector on the IC igniter.

The Igniter will also have another larger connector with four other wires. The green goes to the 2-3 coil, and a black wire that goes to the 1-4 coil. There will also be a yellow or red wire. That is the power wire which is connected to the power wire on the coils. The black/yellow wire goes to ground. It should be connected to a decent ground wire, and not just to the frame.

550gpz inginition swap 19 Apr 2007 22:01 #132103

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
OKC beat me by 2 minutes. :ohmy:

Also, if you happen to take apart the advancer unit, make sure to mark or note where the pointer is pointing, otherwise you may end up 180 degrees off.

Obviously, you'll need a strobe timing light to verify the timing. If it's way off, it's not uncommon to have to file the mounting holes or drill new ones, when swapping plates from different models.

Sometimes that blue wire to the oil-sender can get shorted to the back of the timing plate so make sure it has clearance.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/04/20 01:04

550gpz inginition swap 21 Apr 2007 12:32 #132576

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Is the KZ550 igniter conversion better than a Dyna conversion?

If so, what are the advantages?

I learn stuff when I pay attention around here.

:lol:

550gpz inginition swap 21 Apr 2007 23:08 #132683

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The only advantage to the 550 conversion is that it uses less power while providing good spark energy, but you have to find decent 2.5-ohm coils. The major drawback is that all the igniters are old and getting unreliable. You can make your own pretty cheaply, though, out of GM parts if you are good at building electronic stuff. But you also need the pickups and rotor which are getting harder to find.

The Dyna has many advantages. It's readily available, has good customer support, probably cheaper than used KZ ignition on Ebay, good spark energy, can use older 4-ohm coils from points ignitions. It only has one drawback... it uses a lot more power, much of which is wasted at lower RPMs, so it's not a good candidate if you want to run extra headlights etc. It may also require replacing some existing wire with larger gauge wire or a relay to bypass the fuses, under certain circumstances.

550gpz inginition swap 23 Apr 2007 09:48 #133066

• 77street
  • User
Thanks for the info guys I will let you know how it turns out. Today is the day....

550gpz inginition swap 23 Apr 2007 18:34 #133215

• 77street
  • User
It's running!!! Thanks for the help, I put some pics up when I get done with the seat and such.

550gpz inginition swap 24 Apr 2007 10:27 #133473

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Excellent! :)

• Page: