Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

More Ignition Wiring 15 Apr 2007 18:08 #130491

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've determined that there are 4 wires that should hook-up to my ignition coils-- Red & Black in one cluster and Red & Green in the other. I hooked the Red & Black wires to my 1&4 coil and my Red & Green to my 2&3 coil, but still nothing happens. I tried bridging one red wire to both coils, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More Ignition Wiring 16 Apr 2007 09:22 #130709

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
do you have power to the coils? also are you still running points?
does the bike turn over fast enough with the starter or are you using the kick starter?

I know there is a flow chart someplace on this site for electrical issues, may have to do a search
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More Ignition Wiring 16 Apr 2007 09:48 #130722

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Step one is to verify the battery is OK. Use a hydometer and check each cell to ensure there are no dead cells. If you have a bad battery and can't kick start the bike, it will essentially behave as yours is. You can get a small hydrometer for less than $5 at any autoparts store. They look like eyedroppers with a small hose you stick in the fluid. Draw the fluid out and there are small colored balls in the dropper part that will float or not float... there will be a guide to diagnosing each cell on the packaging. Essentially if all balls float for a given cell, the cell is OK. If only some float, it is dying and if none float it is dead. OK, battery is verified?

Now turn the key or ignition switch on and check for voltage at the coils. Put the hot lead from multimeter on the RED lug and the negative lead from the meter on one of the cylinder studs. You should get about 12VDC. If you get nada, you have a wiring problem. If you have voltage AND the battery is OK, the problem is your ignition system.

Check the wires coming off your pickup coils going into the connector that conencts them to the IC igniter. Check the wires coming out. Most like a loose connection or a non-connection since it is pretty rare that both the 1/4 side and 2/3 side of an ignition will fail at the same time.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More Ignition Wiring 16 Apr 2007 10:07 #130735

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Go to Radio Shack and grab yourself a voltmeter. I got one for about 20 bucks.

That bike is going on 30 years old and there might be some bad wires or dirty contacts.

Using a voltmeter you can check to see if there is power to the coils, or trace the power/continuity trail from the battery to the coils.

Perhaps it is a problem not related to the coils, flooding, for example. Who knows. It is tough to determine.

Yes, there is an electrical schematic under KZ info from the home page.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More Ignition Wiring 16 Apr 2007 10:08 #130736

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Go to Radio Shack and grab yourself a voltmeter. I got one for about 20 bucks.

That bike is going on 30 years old and there might be some bad wires or dirty contacts.

Using a voltmeter you can check to see if there is power to the coils, or trace the power/continuity trail from the battery to the coils.

Perhaps it is a problem not related to the coils, flooding, for example. Who knows. It is tough to determine.

Yes, there is an electrical schematic under KZ info from the home page.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• Page: