Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tach/voltmeter not working 13 Apr 2007 07:21 #129609

• pyxen
  • pyxen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
So I've got everything done that I really want to do..except tighten up the clutch, but that'll be another thread..AND the tach isn't working.

I've tested the connectors, and it seems that something's going on in there.. I get some wierd negative reading on my digital multimeter when I touch the connector. The other ones give me a decent 12v or so.. Everything is connected to the coils (electric tach), so that's fine (I think).

The service manual is so light on what to do here, that I'm kinda at a loss.. anyone have any advice?

I'd like to have my tach back.. :pinch: At least I have a working speedo now though! :laugh:

On second thought.. I've attached the voltmeter switch to the metal bracket between the gauges - would that cause it to stop working? I don't think I insulated it.. It was originally installed in a plastic housing. Hrm.. guess I'd better check that, eh?

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/04/13 10:24
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tach/voltmeter not working 14 Apr 2007 19:51 #130200

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Geez Pyxen, I have the opposite problem. My speedo don't work. I got a speeding ticket for it the other day but that was dismissed but I still have to pay a fine for defective equipment... broken speedo which I told the cop about.... dumb butt I was. I guessed it was the orange wire but it wasnt that. I will go through my prob probably tomorow and see how I can help you. Ticket on my 1000, sorry for lack of info.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Tach/voltmeter not working 16 Apr 2007 10:37 #130742

• pyxen
  • User
Awesome.. I've got the backing plate off my gauge, and I'm going to dig in there with my tester again to see if I can figure out whether or not there is indeed a signal coming from the engine.

Everything is hooked up properly, afaik, so I don't understand what the deal is.. It was working perfectly last fall. As if that means anything! :lol:
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Tach/voltmeter not working 17 Apr 2007 14:27 #131228

• pyxen
  • User
Okay - I've done my checking and definitely need some help..

When the bike is on, but not running, the multimeter registers around 4 volts - when it should be 0. With the bike running, it's registering around 1 volt, when it should be between 2 and 4..!

WTF?? The manual says that the wiring between the coils and gauge is to blame, so does this mean all I need to do is run some new wire? This kinda sucks.

Are there any other tests I can do..can I clean something and make it go away?

Does it matter which side of the coil the power and negative leads go on? Could that be the problem?

Right now I have the red/yellow going to the left (from the top) connectors on both coils, and the green or two black (which is, I assume, where the signal to the tach comes from) on the right connectors.

Oye..help please!
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Tach/voltmeter not working 18 Apr 2007 13:36 #131591

• pyxen
  • User
Aight.. I nailed it down. It's a sticky/busted voltmeter switch that was messing things up..now that I've 'twiddled' it a bit, the tach works fine..its just the voltmeter itself that doesn't seem to work :P
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Tach/voltmeter not working 18 Apr 2007 18:28 #131678

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Sorry man1 Didn't get to fool with mine.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Page: