Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ignition coil wiring? 11 Apr 2007 23:23 #129133

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I discovered one reason my bike wont start--the ignition coils arent wired up. I was checking them out and see two prongs on the front of each coil that Im assuming are for wiring. I looked at my 750 wiring diagram and it shows that there is an orange wiring running from one coil to the other and out again; I only see ONE orange wire on my wiring harness. Is there another wire that I dont see, or do I have to splice the one wire and run it from one coil to the other? Does anyone have any pictures of their coils that I can use as a reference?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ignition coil wiring? 12 Apr 2007 04:40 #129148

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
the orange wire should be the positive power into the coils ( it'd be best if you check it with a test light and turn the key on and off). split it so both coils get the power. And then usually the signal wires that go to the second coil connection 1-4 black wire 2-3 green wire this probably will get the plugs firing for you

ignition coil wiring? 12 Apr 2007 06:09 #129167

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey trippivot, where did you get that cutaway of the KZ motor? I'd like one... Thanks
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

ignition coil wiring? 12 Apr 2007 10:28 #129243

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
how do I tell which is the positive and negative terminal on the coils?

ignition coil wiring? 12 Apr 2007 10:44 #129249

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Doesn´t matter, it´ll work either way. Connect the power wire to one terminal on each coil like trippivot says. Remove the timing cover and look at the timing plate - you´ll see two sets of points (or two pickup modules if your bike has electronic igntion). There´ll be one wire coming off each set of points/pickup module, a black and a green. I can never remember which is which, but the wire coming off the left set of points/pickup) should connect to the second terminal on the coil that connects to your 1/4 plugs, obviously the wire from the right set of points/pickup should connect to the second terminal of the coil that connects to the 2/3 plugs.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

ignition coil wiring? 12 Apr 2007 13:23 #129311

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Polarity doesn't matter. Power should go on one lug and the ignition wire on the other. Black wire comes from left points or pickup and when connected to a coil, makes it the 1&4 coil. The 1&4 plug wires should be connected to this coil. The right points/pickup are the 2&3 and the 2&3 plug wires should be connected to this coil. Usually, the left coil as you sit on the bike is set up to be the 1&4 coil (black wire) and right (green wire) the 2&3. It doesn't matter that much, but that is how it is usually done and you usually find that the 1&4 plug wires are longer than the 2&3.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: