Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 11 Apr 2007 11:43 #128830

• davenkids2001
  • davenkids2001's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello again everyone,
Recently I posed a question about adding spotlights to my stock SR650. Due to alternator limitation and other issues, I have decided not to pursue this option.
Yet, in order to increase my visibility to other drivers I have been wondering if I could change or replace my single filament turn signals and install dual filament units. This would give me additional lighting visibility on the road.
I assume that I would have enough power off the stock alternator to do this, but I want to ask how to proceed?
Could I simply purchase the 2-wire units for the rear and tie the running lamp circuit into my tail-light wiring? Same question also applies to my front (tie into the headlamp circuit)?
Would the wiring accept the additional load or is there a better way to do this? Most newer bikes I see have dual signalling lamps (1 circuit each for running lamps and flashers).
Has anyone here ever made this modification? How did you do this, tie into existing wiring of run a new circuit off a relay?
All comments are appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 11 Apr 2007 12:43 #128848

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
I use to have all 4 of my signals as running lights.
The 650 C2 came with the front signals as running lights from the factory, here in Canada. I bought a set of 3 wire front signals and installed them on the back end. Then it was just a matter of running a wire from the front to the back for the third wire.

I'm not sure if your SR has the third wire up front, but you can check the different wiring diagrams to compare.

I have since put on a fairing and different signals, so do not have the running lights anymore. :(
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 11 Apr 2007 13:20 #128858

• Corith
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 1978 KZ650 already had the dual filament front signals, but not the rear. Here's what I did...

1. I bought two RED turn signals from a Harley on Ebay. Most places say rear lights MUST be red. Also, I wanted red because I wanted them to go on when I break also.

2. I then wired the dim bulb to my rear running light, and the bright bulb to my turn signals.

It works.

I've worked out how to get them to go bright with the brake light too. The issue is that if you have the brake AND turn signal on, one of them still needs to blink. I haven't done it yet, but that's my next step.

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 11 Apr 2007 23:44 #129134

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
No issues to tie dual bulbs into your existing wiring. I think you will find the "parking light" wire in the headlight bucket. You can also tie into the same wire on the tail light with no issues or extra parts.

As far as making your rear turn signals brake lights as well. That's a little more complicated. I thought I had a way to do it with a relay but realized it wouldnt work. I'd need 3 relays to do it, seems way too complicated must be an easier way.

Ron

Post edited by: AR15Ron, at: 2007/04/12 03:17

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 00:50 #129137

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
AR15Ron wrote:

As far as making your rear turn signals brake lights as well. That's a little more complicated. I thought I had a way to do it with a relay but realized it wouldnt work. I'd need 3 relays to do it, seems way too complicated must be an easier way.

I'm pretty sure it can't be done with less than 3 relays unless you go into some solid-state electronics or re-configure the entire turn-signal system on the bike.

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 04:37 #129147

• AR15Ron
  • User
I have a friend that used to make a little circuit board with some transistors for those LED windshield washer things people put on their hoods? It made them blinkers but also parking lights. I should see if he would make me one like that, way beyond me. I did have a thought that you could proabably get away with 1 relay and 3 6 amp diodes :) Now that I'm thinking about it I'd kind of like to make my rear turn signals running lights/parking lights. Not so much brake lights, but the wiring would be the same.

Ron

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 05:37 #129156

• Corith
  • User
My solution also used three relays.

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 06:50 #129191

• davenkids2001
  • User
Thanks guys.
I think I may have been misunderstood a little bit. I know that I would need to buy 4 two-wire signaling units to replace my existing 1-wire units. My question just pertains to the best way to hook them up. I did not intend to use the new rear signals as additional stop lamps. I just want to have the turn signals to remain lit while running (running lamps) and also to flash when I signal.
Thus I would need two-wire units (plus ground). I would hook up the existing flasher circuit to one wire of the new signal and hook up the other signal wire to the existing running lamp circuits on the taillight and headlight.
My question was: Can I splice into the taillight running wire (not the stop light wire) to power the running lamp part of my new signals? Will the extra load of the 2 additional running lamps cause any problems on that circuit? Same question also applies the the front signals being spliced into the headlamp circuit.
I am mostly concerned with the load carrying ability of the existing running lamp circuits (wiring, fuses, etc).
It seems the simplest answer is to simply splice this together to existing wiring, but I don't want to overload the wire or the fuse.
Thanks.
Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 10:45 #129250

• Corith
  • User
I spliced into it. Well, I cut it, added a three prong female adapter, then wired a male adapter from the taillight and turn signals.

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 13:18 #129309

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Dave, if you go to a seller like www.z1enterprises.com and order some K&S turn signals with two contact bulb holders, you can easily wire in the running light turn signals WITHOUT using relays. I just did this for the bazillionth time on my shaftie.

I bought four K&S Eddie Lawson Replica (KZ1000 something or the other) turn signals because they are pretty BIG and look nice on my bike. Two are 1 contact bulb holder and two are twin contact as I didn't want/need running lamps in the back but I will explain how to do both ends.

Front... Put the new twin contact turn signal in and pull the wires into the head light shell

On K&S turn signals, they provide a ground. Some signals DO NOT. You have to connect a wire to a bulb holder mount lug and connect this wire to a ground. On the K&S turn signal, the black/white wire is ground. The black wire is blinker filament (large one) and red wire is small filament (running light). You have to connect the black/white wire to the ground in the headlight which is on a dual connector with black/yellow wire. ALL Kawasakis use gray wires for the turn signals or gray and light green. Connect the black turn signal wire to the gray wire. Finding the "running light power wire" is the next trick. On MOST Kaws, there is BLUE lead that is either used or not used. This is switched VDC and runs in parallel to the blue wire that lights up your headlight. On models equipped with running lights in front, this wire connects to the running light wire and on models without, it is just an auxillary hot wire. Connect this dark blue wire to the red wire on the K&S turn signal. Do the same for the other side EXCEPT the other side may use the light green wire color instead of being gray. Some models do and some dont.

OK... now that we have the front wired, to the back... Install the turn signals. Take the three wires and connect the ground (black/white from the K&S turn signal) to the black/yellow ground for the brake light. Actually there will probably be a separate ground dual out for the turn signals right there. Connect the turn signals like you did the front... black K&S wire to gray wires or gray and green wire. The running light... strip back some wire on the RED wire going to your tail light... RED=RUNNING LIGHT. Splice in the red K&S running light wires. That is all there is to it...

Try the turn signals... if you messed up and the right front and left rear blink together, swap wires at the front or back. Check you brake light function and headlight function. Also, keep in mind that the bulbs in an aftermarket turn signals won't carry the same rating as the originals so the turn signal relay will likely need to be swapped for a heavy duty unit. You can buy one at the auto parts store... it will have two prongs arrayed like an L. These type flasher relays can handle a wider range of voltages than the OEM unit and cost about $5-7.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffwerner

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 12 Apr 2007 21:36 #129519

• AR15Ron
  • User
Yes, I answered your question in the first part of my first post. The second part was directed at the person talking about using turn signals for brake lights. You can splice into existing wiring for the "parking light" it won't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure you will find the right wire in the headlight bucket, and you can splice off the tail light for the rear. I imagine the wire in front you are looking for will be the same color as it is at the tail light. I'd get a multimeter and do some testing.

How to replace stock turn signals on SR650 to dual filament units? 13 Apr 2007 06:17 #129586

• davenkids2001
  • User
Thanks George.
Your advice is priceless!
Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

• Page: