Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 KZ1000 Coil Mod ?? 07 Apr 2007 21:51 #127589

• 82KZer
  • 82KZer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I haven't posted before so excuse any errors,but thanks for any help.I have had the bike for about a year. I have started it several times and it ran with the choke out and usually not on all cylinders. I had to feather the clutch to keep it running in first gear. I decided to do the coil mod and read all the posts that I could find. Can the wire going to 86 be red or yellow with red since both are hot when in the on position and hook up at the starter switch, is this correct?

Where is the Y located that #87 hooks to? I tried to see the wire colors in the bundles under the seat but have not located a Y that connects to the red wires of the coils.

Can anyone help me find where to hook up #87 and and finish this mod. I want to get this running better and move up to a ZZR1200, or ZRX1200. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 KZ1000 Coil Mod ?? 08 Apr 2007 05:30 #127629

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The CLYMER manual on these bikes has a decent diagram.
I have one and it is accurate. My bike would turn over great but wouldn't start unless you cought it just right.
Did the coil mod and that thing is like new :) You just kind of graze the button and its runing. HEY EVERYONE THREE CHEERS FOR WIREGEORGE!! When I get my carbs done,I khow where I'm sending them. Sounds to me that you have carb problems though.My advise would be to determin that and if so, send them to WIREGEORGE. I got the link from
past postings on this site. He is the jap carb guru.

PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THE ASSHOLE SAID (he was telling you the truth)

82 KZ1000 Coil Mod ?? 08 Apr 2007 05:45 #127634

• Turtle
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
did you look under the tank for the Y?
1980 KZ 1000 A4 with 750 Zephyr swing arm and ZX-9 rear wheel

82 KZ1000 Coil Mod ?? 08 Apr 2007 06:03 #127637

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The #86 connection... When you look at your coils, there are two lugs where the power is connected and the ignition wire. The ignition wire is either black or green; depending on which coil you are looking at. The OTHER wire is the power. As I recall, this wire is either a pinkish wire or a red wire on a J motor bike but my memory ain't good. It is definitely the one that isn't black or green. Trace these wires back and you will find that they hook into a connector. Remove these wires from the connector and fab a NEW wire with connector on the end to plug into that connector you unplugged the coils wires and the other end will hook to the #86 lug on the relay or pigtail.

For the #87 out, THERE IS NOT Y... you have to make one up. Take a wire off the #87 lug on the relay or pigtail and then split it to go to both coils and you may also want to hook the RED wire coming off your IC Igniter to this Y as well as the IC Igniter needs to be powered. You can also power the IC Igniter by plugging it into the connector that provided the #86 trigger.

As to whether this mod will fix your problems, can't say for sure since you didn't mention the voltage at your coils but if it was low, this will fix that part of the problem. If you have other issues like valve clearances or carb, this won't fix those issues.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: