• Page:

TOPIC:

Wiring harness delima! 07 Apr 2007 20:54 #127570

• kirmit77
  • kirmit77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
can a 1980 kz1000 ltd wireing harness fit on a 1977 kz1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wiring harness delima! 07 Apr 2007 21:02 #127573

• wireman
  • Visitor
couple of minor differances but nothing that cant be overcome if you have both to compare;)

Wiring harness delima! 08 Apr 2007 06:10 #127640

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Minor differences? Bwhahahaha The 80 harness has a bunch of individual wires hanging off where they are supposed to hook to the right and left switch gear and the 77 switch gear have large connectors and not individual wires. Also, the 77 has a headlight on/PO/off switch I think and the 80 has a hardwired headlight. The 77 harness uses those big colored plugs up by the battery and I am not sure an 80 does... everything needs to be plugged in individually. The 77 uses a separate reg/rec where the 80 used a combo unit...

If a person doesn't understand a bike REAL WELL, the rewire would be kind of tricky. I suggest you find a harness that matches your bike as it will be a plug n play and not a REWIRE... An 80 harness can be fit onto a 77 but I think the person doing the refit would have to be pretty technically savvy. I have done this swap in the past and after soldering the switch gear connections into place and running a switched VDC wire to the right switchgear to control the headlight and rewiring the stuff to accomodate a separate regulator and rectifier, I swore I wouldn't do it again.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Wiring harness delima! 08 Apr 2007 09:15 #127671

• wireman
  • Visitor
hes not using it for a bike,its a golf cart from hell that hes building.so the differant handlebar stuff really doesnt come into play;)

Wiring harness delima! 10 Apr 2007 06:39 #128446

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
A good point... He will need to understand bike component functions to make any wire harness work and more so if he is cooking up a wiring harness. I suspect I would build my own harness for a custom application since it likely won't use the stock ignition switch or starter button, etc.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Wiring harness delima! 10 Apr 2007 07:57 #128477

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
wireman wrote:

couple of minor differances but nothing that cant be overcome if you have both to compare;)

Please remember what WIREMAN does for a living too;)
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Wiring harness delima! 12 Apr 2007 14:47 #129342

• robjonrik
  • User
wireman wrote:

hes not using it for a bike,its a golf cart from hell that hes building.so the differant handlebar stuff really doesnt come into play;)

Then, at that point, why not just get a couple of spools of different color 14 ga wire and make your own harness? It would probably be easier than trying to re-work a bike harness into a golf cart.

Wiring harness delima! 18 Apr 2007 04:25 #131423

• dwarfed
  • User
Yeah, I agree with robjonrik. That's exactly how we did my dwarf car, running a Gpz 11, dyna S, 2 electric fuel pumps, starter solenoid etc etc. Works a treat, as long as you use different colour wires, then it's simple.

• Page: