Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battery-Culprit or Scapegoat? 03 Apr 2007 08:43 #126131

• CBerryment
  • CBerryment's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
BIKE: 1976 KZ750 Twin-Battery has been on trickle charger all winter.

Hello folks,

I'm so glad this site is here! its nice to know so many people enjoy riding a KZ like I do.

I am having strange problems with my bike. When I bought it last year, I put a new battery in it. It was a Walmart battery and I had never had to actually assemble a non-sealed battery before.

My bike ran pretty good all last summer with minimal maintenance. However, it would often not start with the electric start. The starter would make a pathetic attempt but didn't have enough umfff.. Sometimes it would start with the starter motor if I had been on a long ride and started the bike up again after not letting it sit very long.

Fall: During the fall, the bike started to act funny. Coming home from school one day, the bike kept conkin out every 5 miles or so. Very frustrating for a 100 mile trip home. It was also eating gas like crazy. I put the bike up as I didn't have time to work on it with school getting into full swing.

Now, to this year: I just took the last weekend I had off from school to tinker. I adjusted the carbs and the contact point gab and attended to all sorts of other little issues that had been bugging me. I also took apart the starter and replaced the brushes which were horribly worn down. Now, with no load on it anyhow, the starter spins like a mother. I also had a problem not tightening the starter bolts tight enough and the slip gear was ... slipping and not allowing the motor to turn under load. I think i fixed that problem though.

So I hooked up the starter and put everything back together and tried to turn it over. The starter cranked, but weakly. I finally got P/O and removed the motorcycle battery AND jumped the bike to my car battery. After playing with the contact points and plugs a little more, she roared to life without warning! Aside from some white smoke that it took about 5 minutes to work out if her system, she was running solid. I disconnected the jumpers and took are for a spin around the block. She had every bit of balls I remember from last summer and maybe a little more.

My question is this: Could my battery by messing up my bike generally? The bike ran fine with the battery out after it was jumped. All of the equiptment seemed to work fine-blinkers etc. so I think the charging system is ok.

Thanks and happy riding,
CSB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery-Culprit or Scapegoat? 03 Apr 2007 09:06 #126146

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Sounds like your tinkering on the points/plugs may have done the trick.
A battery is a passive component. It just stores voltage and current so the electrics can work before the generator starts turning. Put the battery back in, and see how she runs.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: