Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coils on... now what? 02 Apr 2007 07:31 #125784

• barquirt
  • barquirt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK I have installed a complete Accel coil/plug wire kit on my 1977 KZ650B1. The coils I mounted using the included brackets from Accel in the stock location. I assembled and fit all the spark plug wires, and have new plugs in as well. It looks sharp and should solve my weak starting and dirty plugs issue (I hope).

Now, two simple questions: 1) there isn't any indication in my owner's book as to which post on the coil the wires should attach to. The Accel kit doesn't specify which wire goes on which post either. Does it matter? For the record, I just matched what the stock setup was (green wire to oustide post oin #1 coil, etc. ...)

2) The "dumb" question... how do I know if these new coils are hitting the tank after it's re-mounted? I've put the tank on and off numereous times and it doesn't sound or feel like there is anything hitting once the tank is set in place. Anybody have any tips on this one? I've crawled around under the bike with a work light and everything LOOKS good but is there some little secret people know on this board?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coils on... now what? 02 Apr 2007 07:55 #125788

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Pretty sure the 650's have the "Wasted-Spark" system...in other words,the coils fire even when they're not supplying spark to the designated plugs(that are firing),so it shouldn't matter which wire goes to what coil,BUT...maybe get a Pros opinion on that.

As far as tank clearance...take some plasticine and put a chunk on each coil,and then set the tank in place...remove the tank again and check to see how much it flattened it,and You'll be able to see how thin(or thick) the plasticine is,giving You an indication of clearance.

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/04/02 10:56
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Coils on... now what? 02 Apr 2007 07:58 #125790

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Don't know the answer to your first question.
The only way I can think of that you could check to see if they hit is to use one of those fiberoptic light scopes they use to look into cylanders, or find something like silly putty and put it on the coils and see if the tank leaves a mark or a dent in it. Best I can come up with :)

Ron

Coils on... now what? 02 Apr 2007 08:15 #125798

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
barquirt:
As long as you have 1 & 4 going to one coil, and 2 & 3 going to the other coil, it doesn't matter which wire goes to which post in the coil. 1 & 4 fire at the same time, likewise 2 & 3. But the engine makes sure that only one of the cylinders has an explosive mixture during firing.

Your tank should fit into the rubber bumpers on your frame. The coils should be a direct replacement for your stock coils, so they shouldn't interfere.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Coils on... now what? 02 Apr 2007 08:31 #125800

• barquirt
  • barquirt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, my fuel tank does sit on two rubber bumpers at the front of the frame by the steering stem. I'll check with some plasticgauge or other material just to be sure...

I do have #2 and #3 cylinder to one coil and #1 and #4 to the other coil. So if it is a dual-fire system I should be OK... thanks all.

Coils on... now what? 02 Apr 2007 09:57 #125815

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
barquirt wrote:

...how do I know if these new coils are hitting the tank after it's re-mounted?...

Either modeling clay or Play-Doh should work, and could first cover parts with sheet of plastic wrap to ease clean up. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: