Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz1000 misfiring under load 31 Mar 2007 16:48 #125245

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I've got an '82 kz1000ltd with about 10k miles on it. I've rebuilt the carbs, added a fuel filter, set the valves and sync'd the carbs. I ride the bike around town and it runs great. Maybe a little cold-blooded but once warmed-up it runs great.

I rode it on a trip a few weeks back, going about 200 miles. After about 60 miles the bike began running like it was starving for fuel. I pulled up the choke lever and no change. I switched to prime and no change. I pulled into a gas station and filled up as it was time for gas anyway.. I rode at slower speeds and it seemed ok.

I continued on my trip and it ran well most of the time, and occasionally would run badly as I explained above. I would rev it up and try and keep the revs up and it was sputtering and finally would run well.

I'm stumped - the plugs looked fairly normal, just a little darker than normal which I though could be from the choke.

I was thinking of putting on new ingnition wires and new caps but figured I would consult the voice of experience at KZ Rider!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz1000 misfiring under load 31 Mar 2007 17:50 #125271

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
kink in the fuel line ?

If you have multimeter you should be able to test the plug caps and ignition wire ? I have found that a little dab of dielectric grease on the metal top of the plug where it fits into the cap is a good thing.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

kz1000 misfiring under load 31 Mar 2007 18:14 #125284

• floridamba
  • User
I checked them and they were at 5K ohms. One is missing the rubber gasket around the part where the wire goes into the plug cap.

I have replacement wire for the coils but not the caps. I need to order a set...

kz1000 misfiring under load 31 Mar 2007 18:20 #125286

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
How's the fuel line ? I've had the same happen to me when I used to use the clear plastic tubing and it would harden up and kink restricting fuel flow and come on like starvation.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

kz1000 misfiring under load 31 Mar 2007 18:25 #125288

• floridamba
  • User
I have the large black fuel line with a NAPA 3006 fuel filter. It has a straight tip on one end and a 90-degree end on the other - great for 4-cylinder bikes. They are about $4. It does not seem to be lacking fuel.

I drained the carb bowls also and no water came out. I will ride it to work this week and see what happens.

kz1000 misfiring under load 02 Apr 2007 15:50 #125925

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Any chance you might be getting a vapor lock from a plugged vent hole on your gas cap?

Take off the gas cap and take a look under your cap and see if you have a diaphragm and vent holes. These have been known to get condensation and fine rust debris built up over the years.

I drilled mine out a tiny bit larger and it solved my problem that sounded similar to what you are experiencing. Its worth a shot and only take a couple of minutes to do.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

kz1000 misfiring under load 02 Apr 2007 18:51 #125973

• floridamba
  • User
Mine has an aftermarket cap.... I will check it out!!!

• Page: