• Page:

TOPIC:

Coil Repower Parts 29 Mar 2007 23:12 #124829

• WSU_rider
  • WSU_rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I am at college and away from my bike for now, and I am trying to order parts to do the Coil Repower Mod found on WiredGeorge's website so that I can get it done right when I get back from school and have more time to ride, and I was wondering if anyone who has done the mod before could give me specifics on what size "press in male connector" and "female lug connector" will work. By the way I am ordering everything from Parts Express. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 05:17 #124846

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
WSU_rider wrote:

.....I was wondering if anyone who has done the mod before could give me specifics on what size "press in male connector" and "female lug connector" will work. By the way I am ordering everything from Parts Express. Thanks in advance.

That's funny.

If you weren't a brand-new member, I'd think you were yanking my chain. ;) We have like 3 threads going on this topic right now. Just remember, you must power the coil from relay pin #87, not #87a.

Here's the links...
12VDC BOSCH RELAY SPDT 30A
12VDC 5-PIN RELAY SOCKET

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 11:31 #124932

• WSU_rider
  • User
Hey,
I dont think I communicated clearly in my prior post. I have the list of parts suggested from WG, and I have all parts ready for order off of that list including the relay and pigtail that you linked to in your reply. However, I know that I need to connect this mod into the bike at specific points, like the ground point, positive wiring to the coils, and the starter solenoid. I know that these will be connected with crimp on "eye" connectors, and I am not sure of what size to order because I dont have my bike here. :( Also, the "dual outlet female connector" that is on the wire that triggers the coils, which connectors do I buy to fit to this? Are they bullet type? Any help is appreciated.

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 12:41 #124962

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
When you buy crimp connectors, the colors coincide with the gauge wire they are intended to connect to. Have you bought your wire yet? 18 ga is a good general gauge for the leads except for the power IN from the battery which has an inline fuse as in the drawing. The 18 ga. stuff is connected using BLUE crimp connectors. The heavier wire (12 or 14 ga.) coming from the battery (starter solenoid lug) to the relay needs yellow connectors. FWIW, lighter gauge stuff 20-22 ga., uses red colored connectors. If in doubt, they sell "kits" at Walmart with a cable tool (cutter/crimper/stripper) and a variety of red, blue and yellow crimp connectors.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 12:51 #124967

• WSU_rider
  • User
Hi,
I was looking around at the Parts Express webpage and I found out about the color to guage coding, and it makes sense for that. However, I am refering specifically to the size of the hole in the middle of the lug connectors, as I would like to avoid buying ones that will either not fit onto the lug because it has a hole that is too small, or ones that will not fit under the nut. I believe sizes are in inches with the guage range following, somthing like 5/16" (12-10) Ring Terminal being an example. I was just wondering what fractional inch number would be best for this application. I have looked around on the forums for quite a while and havent found any specific sizes. As for wire, I am aware that I need 18 and 12 guage, but I was going to wait and buy 6 ft or so from Home Depot or somthing like that, as it will be a little cheaper than ordering a roll from Parts Express. Good point about Wallmart, I may just go get one of those kits as it sounds like sooner or later I will be using them on somthing or other. Any help is much appreciated, and thanks to those that replied so far.

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 13:01 #124969

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
WSU_rider wrote:

...I am not sure of what size to order because I dont have my bike here. :( Also, the "dual outlet female connector" that is on the wire that triggers the coils, which connectors do I buy to fit to this? Are they bullet type? Any help is appreciated.

Ah. I'm getting you now, buddy.

Do you have good soldering experience?
The reason I ask, is that if you are comfortable soldering, and you have a relay pigtail, you can cut bullet connector heads off and solder directly. I hate bullet connectors... :angry: This would pretty much allow you to skip most of the ends that you would have to buy otherwise. You just need alot of heat-shrink wrap, a bunch of wire, and a couple 1/4" eyelets for the connection to the starter solenoid and for the ground.

If you must use bullet connectors, I'm inclined to recommend you cut into the wires behind the existing connectors and re-use the existing ones, or at least always MATCH bullets. I mean don't use a new male with an old female, for instance. You can never be certain of the size and whether they might come apart on the highway... don't ask me how I know... Did I mention how much I hate bullets? ;)

By the way, I always solder even crimp-on ends, including eyelets. I just think that motorcycle wiring is too important to crimp alone. Call me crazy... :silly:

I know that all doesn't answer you questions perfectly, but I'd rather let George comment specifically on his instructions... EDIT: well, I guess he did while I was typing...

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/03/30 16:02
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 14:06 #124999

• WSU_rider
  • User
Hi,
I do have soldering experience, to the point where I am comfortable doing it and it ends up with a solid conection, even if it doesnt always look so pretty:P but that would make things easier, so I will probably just end up soldering the connections instead. However, if I do that, do you have an estimate on how much heat wrap I would need, length wise? I believe they come in 4 inch lengths, and I would think that two would cover me pretty well, I dont have experience with heat wrap though so any suggestions about using that stuff is appreciated.
Thanks again

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 14:57 #125002

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Depending on how much cut-n-solder you do, no larger than the terminal ends are.....a couple feet be MORE than enough. You ARE going to solder all connections, RIGHT!!??!!??;)
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Coil Repower Parts 30 Mar 2007 15:54 #125009

• WSU_rider
  • User
Well, I ordered the parts from Parts Express and I am off to Wally to pick up the rest, Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it as I am not very knowledgable in the field of electronics, and it doesnt make it any easier that the bike is 300 miles away!

• Page: