Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 16:03 #124711

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
loudhvx wrote:

...HMM, well then is it possible the photo of the 5-pin relay socket is reversed in the link above? The white wire appears to be swapped with the black.

Yep, sure is. Holy crap. The photo is a mirror image! It is the opposite from what is in my hands. I don't know if they made them different in another batch, but the one in my hand is as described above. Weird. But, again, you are on top of things...

Edit: And, I don't know if it helps, but I went out and checked the rest of the pigtails I have. I have a total of 6 of them. They are ALL as I described above, and the mirror image of the one in the pic on the site.

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/03/29 19:06
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 16:28 #124721

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks Biquetoast! Now I can sleep tonight! ;)

Like I said it's difficult to get accurate info, (especially with flipped photos :angry: ).

Biquetoast wrote:

Edit: And, I don't know if it helps, but I went out and checked the rest of the pigtails I have. I have a total of 6 of them. They are ALL as I described above, and the mirror image of the one in the pic on the site.<br>

Definitely helps!

It's only when people take the time to examine every mundane detail can there be a chance of accuracy.

Good thread! :)

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/03/29 19:31

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 19:28 #124764

• shawntmartin
  • shawntmartin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Crap... I may be confused again. I am using the relay that BT has listed. So, am i still just hooking it up like lou's photo shows or does the mirror image thing you guys are talking about change what his diagram shows?

Another question is, would it be beneficial to buy another relay that has two 87's and wire it like in my diagram? Or is having an 87 and 87A with lou's diagram gonna get me the exact same results?

Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/03/29 22:29

Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/03/29 22:30

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 20:07 #124785

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
shawntmartin wrote:

...So, am i still just hooking it up like lou's photo shows or does the mirror image thing you guys are talking about change what his diagram shows?

Here's the most important thing:
85 = Ground = Black
..as long as when you line up the relay and the pigtail, you get 85 = black, you're in business, and use Lou's picture. If, on the other hand, your pigtail is like the picture on the website, and the white and black are reversed, then reverse the black and white in Lou's diagram.

shawntmartin wrote:

...Another question is, would it be beneficial to buy another relay that has two 87's and wire it like in my diagram? Or is having an 87 and 87A with lou's diagram gonna get me the exact same results?

Exact same results. Just separate connections. At this point, since you *have* the Bosch relay, use it. Bosch is good stuff; far better than you can get a AutoZone...
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 20:19 #124790

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Gas fouled? How often is "often"?

Dimes to donuts you will not solve the problem with the coil mod if it is truly fouling often. The mod only boosts a bit most of the time unless your wiring is really a mess. Sounds more like fuel/air, just my $.02
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 21:08 #124801

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
shawntmartin wrote:

Crap... I may be confused again. I am using the relay that BT has listed. So, am i still just hooking it up like lou's photo shows or does the mirror image thing you guys are talking about change what his diagram shows?

Another question is, would it be beneficial to buy another relay that has two 87's and wire it like in my diagram? Or is having an 87 and 87A with lou's diagram gonna get me the exact same results?

Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/03/29 22:29<br><br>Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/03/29 22:30

Actually, I considered the possibility of the black/white reversal confusion, which is why I left off the pin numbers. It really doesn't matter if the black and white are reversed.

I actually have two updated drawings which will show both relay types. When I'm done, I'll post them here.

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 29 Mar 2007 22:19 #124817

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
We'll see if this fits. I had to make them vertical and narrow to fit on this page. Incidentally, even if his problem is carb related, this mod is important because the Newtronic draws more current than stock, the 3-ohm coil draws more current than stock, and the Newtronic is voltage-sensitive. This mod bypasses the need to replace the power wires, clean or replace all of the connectors and switches, and clean or replace the fuse box.

These are not general drawings for the relay mod. These are just specifically for Shawn's situation.

This first one is if Shawn has the Bosch 330-070 (87/87a type) relay.

This next drawing is if Shawn has the dual-87 type relay.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/03/30 01:44

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 30 Mar 2007 08:13 #124878

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
Boy, you'd think that one of us might have done a search... :blush:

I found this thread , which spells out exactly the situation with 87 and 87a. Nice. It was only two months ago for pete's sake.

Well, I for one, will now never forget this now... :S
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 30 Mar 2007 09:52 #124902

• shawntmartin
  • User
Wow... the only difference is that the white Newtronic wire shares the 87 if I only have one 87 and it gets it own 87 if I have two 87s. Very simple now that see it side by side. Very cool diagram... Thanks a million to both of you.

KZRage, no I'm not expecting this to be the miracle cure because I do think the 145 jet is causing a huge problem, but I think it will help. I can't find a slightly larger jet than the stock 125 so after this mod, I think I'll richen the pilot jet to 2 turns out, put in the 125 jet (no other choice) and raise the needle to 1 step richer than stock (middle).
(Meaning lower the clip one step)

Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/04/01 12:52

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 02 Apr 2007 21:27 #126021

• shawntmartin
  • User
Alright, I did the coil mod, checked the resistance of the plug wires.(0 ohms)and the bike fired up and sounded better than it ever has...purred like a kitten. I let it run for a few minutes and cracked the throttle a few times and it revved great. A few minutes later I raised the RPMS again and it sound as if only 1 cyinder was firing...kinda like it did when the plugs were fouling. I stopped the engine, let it set for 5 minutes, and started it again. It purred liek a kitten and hasn't missed a beat since. Maybe the bike was still cold the first time? 70 degrees in Ohio, so I don't know. I checked the plugs and the left plug (while sittin on the bike) was a little black, the other plug still looked like it was never used. Hmmmm... Thats confusing... the carb has both floats adjusted the same, has been sync'd, same 125 main jets, middle c-clip on the needles. I'm a little confused. I checked and re-checked the wiring.. its right. Is there something with the wiring that would cause one side to get fouled faster? By the way, with the garage lights off, both plugs had BRIGHT spark. And like I said, the bike currently runs great, I just don't know how long that "blacker" plug will stay useable.

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 03 Apr 2007 03:14 #126055

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
shawntmartin wrote:

...and the bike fired up and sounded better than it ever has......

Horray!
Although I'm a little concerned about how you said it sounded like it was on one cylinder for a while, it sounds like we're in pretty good shape.

Now, as for plug color, you really need to ride the bike for a while to get it hot enough for the plugs to get color, to burn off the black and burn in the tan. You might want to start with a fresh set of plugs if you haven't.
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Biquetoast and whoever else.... 03 Apr 2007 07:19 #126092

• shawntmartin
  • User
Yea, these were brand new B8ES plugs. In just few minutes time the left one had some black on the tip and inside middle where the spark jumps across but none around the outer edge. The other plug still looked like it just came out of the box. I can only assume that whatever happen when the bike started running like crap, created the black on the plug. But, I did swith the plugs from left to right so now the right side has the blacker plug and the left has the new looking one. I rode the bike around the block for a few miuntes (probably not long enough) but it rode great, power was good, and I rechecked the plugs and they looked exactly the same as when I put them in the second time. So the new looking plug still looked new in the cylinder that created the black on the other plug. Right now everything is great but that sputtering incident worried me. It was backfiring and popping and seemed to go away when I increased the choke richer. That would indicate it was lean but the plug says different. Anyway, as long as it doesn't happen again, Im good!!