• Page:

TOPIC:

speedometer interchange 24 Mar 2007 07:08 #123057

• pstrbrc
  • pstrbrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
OK, the project is getting done in bits and pieces, but now I realize that the speedo/tach set (from an '83 GPz) just looks all wrong with what I'm doing. So I'm looking for a more retro speedometer, and thinking about going tach-less. So, I've convertied the front axle to a mechanical drive speedometer (the '81 GPz used an electrical unit) from an early '80's KZ750. But the speedometer I want to use is a '78 KZ400. Kawasaki.com is no help in telling me that my KZ750 speedo drive will work on a KZ400 speedo. Anybody know before I go ahead and buy the speedo and find out for myself?:blink:
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

speedometer interchange 24 Mar 2007 07:29 #123066

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
As long as you get a speedo cable with the correct ends on the inner portion, it will work.
As far as it being accurate, I couldn't tell you.
If the front tires on the 750 and 400 are diff sizes (18" vs 19" for example), that is certainly going to have some type of impact on the reading.

Have you checked on the Kawi website yet to see if the 750 and 400 use the same speedo drive unit?
That info, and the tire size, should get you closer to "home" on the conversion. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

speedometer interchange 24 Mar 2007 07:48 #123072

• pstrbrc
  • pstrbrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Yeah, I've looked at Kaw.com, and the web site seems to inticate that they've changed the style of speedo drive, but it could just be a change in technical drawing style over the years. Now, I know I can change the speedo gear, and I'm aware that I will probably have to, but that's just a detail. If I can get the right speedo, both in the way it fits the style of the bike, and the speed range (no 85 MPH speedo for me, thank you very much!) I'm game for changing the gear.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• Page: