Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turn signal update 22 Mar 2007 15:49 #122626

• psychbiker
  • psychbiker's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Sheesh, have I learned my lesson about being more observant when purchasing a used bike.

The problem returned even during a 50+ degree day, so temperature was out as a source.

I double checked the FRONT running lights and found the right bulb literally rusted into the socket. There was no play to the spring contacts. I had looked at the light before and the running light was on, so apparently I had some sort of intermittance going on IN the socket.

I cleaned it out and got some play back in the socket.
(I have to make a supply run as the bulb broke during the removal attempt and I had to pull the base out in pieces.)

Any suggestions on how to rejuvinate the socket until I can budget for replacing the entire lamp assembly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turn signal update 22 Mar 2007 19:42 #122703

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Try some steel wool, wire brushes, or sandpaper. Whatever you might already have at home. Don't they sell new sockets at the auto store? You may not have to buy a whole blinker assy.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Turn signal update 23 Mar 2007 07:28 #122812

• 1gewehr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've had good luck with removing electrical corrosion with an electric drill and a piece of Scotch-Brite pad. use a worn-out drill bit, or best yet, a firearms cleaning rod end. Twist the scotch-brite on to the drill bit, or through the eye of the rod end, chuck it into the drill, and run it at slow speed around in the connection. If the fit is a bit snug, it works faster. This avoids removing too much metal, but just polishes instead.
Good luck.

Turn signal update 23 Mar 2007 22:38 #123004

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I have completely dismantled the turn signal assemblies before and that is one way to take the socket apart to clean it thoroughly.

Emery cloth is all you really need, a tiny amount of dielectric grease will help, but most of all you should check your seals to minimize the moisture getting inside.

Turn signal update 24 Mar 2007 05:47 #123031

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Had the exact same problem with one of my Kz440 turn signals. The bulb came out, but left its rotting decaying housing in the assembly and for the love of god, i tried, i TRIED to remove it but it just shredded out in pieces.

Ended up buying an OEM turn signal assembly, was fairly cheap. And now I am replacing my stock turn signals with mini blinkers. Yay for money wasteage.

:whistle:

Turn signal update 24 Mar 2007 07:58 #123073

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Once any metal has rusted, it has more potential to rust again eventually regardless of how well it's cleaned.
So aside from packing your turn signal housing full of dielectric grease, it's better just to pony up the cash for a NOS signal like Robjb84 did.
A NOS signal is considerably cheaper than getting pulled over and issued a "fix-it" ticket (or possibly two tickets if you're running a 4-into-1 exhaust) from the local po-po. :pinch:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Page: