Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 kz 750 spectre solenoid? 21 Mar 2007 05:33 #122174

• sawmaster
  • sawmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks to all of other posts on electric problems I have been able to trace my problems. Originally when i put all the harnesses back together I had no power to anything. I've got power back to the lights and horn via a loose wire at the fuse box. Still no power to the starter. When I hold the clutch in and bump the starter button I get my 12 volts on the black wire (from the black and yellow/red pair coming from the ignition), but it won't turn over the engine. From the earlier posts it sounds like this removes the killswitch and clutch safety button from being the culprits and isolates the solenoid as the defective part. Is this true?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 kz 750 spectre solenoid? 21 Mar 2007 05:49 #122182

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You will need a 2nd set of hands to do this test... Turn the key on. Will the kill switch in the RUN position and the clutch pulled in, put a multimeter in VDC scale POS probe on the place on the solenoid where the black wire is soldered. Put the NEG probe on a frame ground. PUSH THE STARTER BUTTON. If you see 12 VDC at this point, the starter system up TO the solenoid is OK. Now, let's make sure the starter isn't the issue. Turn the key off.

Take a piece of 12 ga (heavy) wire and wrap around the terminal on the solenoid that the battery cable connects. HOLD THE INSULATION and touch the other end of the wire to the other lug on the solenoid where the starter hooks. If the starter turns (bike won't start as ignition isn't powered with key off), the starter is GOOD and the solenoid is bad. If the starter doesn't turn, then...

Make sure the wires from the starter to the solenoid are connected solidly. You can pull the starter out and test it out of the bike by grounding the case and touching another wire from the screw post on the starter to your battery. If the starter won't spin, the brushes or windings are bad and you should likely replace it or fix it. Most starters are pretty much the same so it is usually easy to find another and just swap it out.

If you find the solenoid is bad, it must be replaced. I seldom use the original solenoid; looking for another that will bolt into place as most all starters have the same connectors except some have a ground and some don't. If you find one that doesn't have a ground wire, you can always connect the ground from the wiring harness to a bolt the solenoid grounds to.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

82 kz 750 spectre solenoid? 26 Mar 2007 09:44 #123629

• sawmaster
  • sawmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So after getting a hand from my dad to run the test, it turns out that it was as bad wire connection @ the solenoid. I finally took her out for a spin yesterday only find out that one of my cylinders is still misfiring which was what caused my wreck to begin with. We started her up that night and saw spark coming out of the #4 plug cap. Should be on her by next weekend.

Here's the link to check her out.

s90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/stephenm...rrent=1174874636.pbw

• Page: