Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter Lockout Switch 21 Mar 2007 04:08 #122161

• bemoore
  • bemoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm replacing the handlebars on my 77 KZ650C. The procedure in my Clymer manual states to disconnect the starter lockout switch, but there's no photo, and it doesn't tell me where this switch is located. I'm assuming it's the cable assembly connected to the clutch lever. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been prying on what looks like a connector, but it doesn't want to pull free. Does it disconnect at the clutch lever? If so, is there a trick to getting it to release? I'm afraid that if I pry any harder, I'll break something.

Thanks.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Lockout Switch 21 Mar 2007 04:14 #122163

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Little square tab on the bottom of the clutch lever bracket, on the bootom side of the switch, push it in and the switch should slide out.
KD9JUR

Starter Lockout Switch 21 Mar 2007 04:44 #122164

• indykaw77
  • User
FWIW.....a wee tiny flat blade screwdriver comes in handy for depressing the l'il lock tab holding the switch in.....;)
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Starter Lockout Switch 21 Mar 2007 05:53 #122183

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The switch slips into the clutch perch groove. There is a tab that you depress to push it out. The switch DOES NOT need to be removed from the clutch perch for any reason to swap handlebars. You only have to loosen the perch and slip it off the old bar and then slip in on before installing the new grip on the new bar. The problem with removing these switches is that they are OLD plastic and the tab often just breaks off when you remove and replace them too much.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Starter Lockout Switch 21 Mar 2007 09:33 #122255

• bemoore
  • bemoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the tips. This confirms my concern that there's something I was overlooking (the tab).

wiredgeorge wrote:

The switch slips into the clutch perch groove. There is a tab that you depress to push it out. The switch DOES NOT need to be removed from the clutch perch for any reason to swap handlebars. You only have to loosen the perch and slip it off the old bar and then slip in on before installing the new grip on the new bar. The problem with removing these switches is that they are OLD plastic and the tab often just breaks off when you remove and replace them too much.

Glad to hear this. My fear was breaking something no longer available.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

• Page: