Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coils 19 Mar 2007 17:14 #121693

• 77_650B1
  • 77_650B1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ahh, so my dyna 3 ohm coils have 3 ohms primary and around 13.8 ohms secondary resistance. My question is, could i have screwed up my graphite wires so badly when i installed them that i'm not getting proper spark?
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coils 20 Mar 2007 09:05 #121914

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
77_650B1 wrote:

Ahh, so my dyna 3 ohm coils have 3 ohms primary and around 13.8 ohms secondary resistance. My question is, could i have screwed up my graphite wires so badly when i installed them that i'm not getting proper spark?

I guess anything is possible. I just don't see how the installation could result in destroying them. Pull the wires off the plugs one at a time, hold them close to the engine or other ground point and see if you jump a spark when engine is turned over and kill switch(s) on. If you get spark, then all is well in that dept. If no spark, then pull wires out of the coils, one at a time, turn the ignition on, kill switch on and hold a screw driver or something similar close to coil plug wire outlet, with a grounding test lead connected from screw driver to your frame/ground. If still no spark, then check for 12Vdc at high side of coils. Don't drain the battery while testing, as that will cause the spark to be weak or absent. It is a good idea to keep a charger on battery while testing.

Coils 20 Mar 2007 12:40 #121977

• 77_650B1
  • User
OK, will do.

These damn wires though, they're the graphite ones, and when i measure the resistance through them i'm getting like 25kohms, through the wire itself, with no connectors. I just dont know enough about them, i think that maybe i could have done something whilecriming the connectors or something.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Coils 20 Mar 2007 13:38 #121991

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Is there a specific reason you are using graphite core wires? I know there have been discussions on the forum about wire versus graphite, but I think the standard coils use stranded steel wire. You can get 7mm marine wire from NAPA in rolls and cut whatever length is needed.

I just found / installed some used Honda CBR coils @ 3 ohms, and used stranded steel, just like what was on them already. I didn't like the red wires on the existing setup, so blacks went into their place. There is something to be said for the knowledge that the caps are screwing into a substance with more density than pencil lead.

I am using a Dyna setup, so if there is an issue, I guess I'm gonna find out about it. In the meantime, I don't really care how aggravating hashed up radio signals are.

:lol:

Coils 20 Mar 2007 14:39 #122008

• 77_650B1
  • User
I just thought i'd get them to be cool. I think i'm gonna try some copper dyna ones soon.

I just redid the wiring from my relay to the coils, and I'm on my way up to the bike now, I'll give an update later on tonight i'd say.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Coils 20 Mar 2007 16:04 #122041

• 77_650B1
  • User
OK, i found that my inline coil on my coil wiring mod is reading 250kohm, wierd i know, so i replaced it, and when my batt is done charging we'll see that happens. My plug wires are all recut and installed.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Coils 21 Mar 2007 08:08 #122229

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
77_650B1 wrote:

I just thought i'd get them to be cool. . .

Well, I'd venture a guess and say a non-running bike is really cool, especially the exhaust. . .

:whistle:

I think you can get the marine wire in different color coats, if that's the issue. Looking fast. . .

B)

Coils 27 Mar 2007 16:31 #124088

• 77_650B1
  • User
Yeah so now i'm convinced its my wires. I've got 12V to the coils, my pickups worked 2 weeks ago, havent even taken off the cover, my carbs are clean and flooding the cylinders (lol), so i'm guessing i need to make a run to napa tomorrow if i can make it after work, get some wire, and try that.

Oh and i could only get spark on #2 cylinder. Tried #3 numerous times, no dice. #1&4 nothing also.

Post edited by: 77_650B1, at: 2007/03/27 19:32
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

• Page: