TOPIC:

Hey, loudhvx, check this out 16 Mar 2007 15:09 #120809

• pstrbrc
  • pstrbrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Hey, Lou!
77KZ650 posted a link over on the engine forum about a dual-plug turbo 1100, and this guy posted this:

Oh my EFi isn't that complex, I just split the signal comming from the ECU. I use a GM Dual coil pack for the 10mm plugs.

If you guys want to do a dual plug conversion on your 750. The wiring is very simple! Get a coil pack from a late 90's Saturn 4-cyl. The coil ignitor is built right in. Only 4 wires, ie +12V, earth, left trigger and right trigger wire (negitive side) of your factory coils . Just "tee" into you factory wire harness just at your factory harness.

The built in coil driver does all the work, instant 8 plug setup. Your factory ECU doesn't know anything, because factory coils "fire" by negative wire...

Is he saying what I think he's saying?
Does a late '90's Saturn coil pack really have its own igniter, and would that just be a bolt-in replacement for our ignitor+coils?
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey, loudhvx, check this out 16 Mar 2007 21:48 #120925

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
  • Thank you received: 4
Yea and will it be the same for a 78 KZ1000:woohoo:
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

Hey, loudhvx, check this out 17 Mar 2007 15:40 #121107

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the Saturn thing, but I've recently done a lot experimenting on the GM LS1 motor ignitors, but they are single output. Also, the current limiter was very high, like over 7 amps, so I abandoned the project.

I've also done experiments on other GM, and Chrysler dual-post coils and coil packs, but they are just physically so big I couldn't fit them in the normal location, so I abandoned those studies as well (although electrically, they work OK with the HEI ignitor).

I designed a system for some Honda guys recently. They are lucky because they can use $20 GM coils which fit under their tanks. They don't fit on my bike, though.

My current project is to use the super-light Dyna mini coils (I found some new ones dirt cheap on fleabay)with an HEI ignitor (they won't work with stock Kaw ignitors).

I'm sure there are many other systems that can work, but the main thing I look at first is availability and price, then physical size and weight. Then I come up with a way to make it work electrically (dwell, current limit, etc.).

I don't want to spend too much time making something work, unless it's available cheaply for everyone, at any parts store. The Dyna mini's were just so cheap, but I'm really doing that excersize because they are so light weight.

Thanks for the heads-up, though, and keep them coming. I'm still searching for the perfect, dirt-cheap, automotive coils.

• Page: