Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starting problem no spark 16 Mar 2007 07:07 #120657

• mardavid
  • mardavid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I need help URGENTLY guys. I have a KZ900, fitted KZ1000 pickup coils, advancer (1013) and IC Igniter
My wiring:
IC IGNITER: 4 wires, red/yellow and black/blue goes to pickup coils
Other 4 wires, yellow/red stripe to cut-off switch feeding pos (+) of both coils, black to neg(-) of right-hand side coil feeding 2/3, green to neg (-) of left-hand side coil feeding 1/4, black with yellow stripe to (-)/ground.
NB. With ign and cut-off sw on,it cranks but not fire. As soon as I switch off the cut-off sw all the plugs spark. It does not spark when cranking/swinging.
I have changed all my components so far (IC igniter,pickups,coils,advancer,plugs.
What am I doing wrong ? :I'm puzzled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting problem no spark 16 Mar 2007 15:02 #120807

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi MarsDavid
Welcome to the forum. You don't know this guy, but a long, LONG time ago there was this guy named George who would know what you mean when you say "....It does not spark when cranking/swinging", but I don't. What's up?

Starting problem no spark 17 Mar 2007 06:34 #120968

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The wires from your IC igniter to your coils are backwards. The green wire should go to the right hand coil and makes that the 2 and 3 coil. The black wire should go to the left coil and the black wire makes it the 1 & 4 coil. Make sure your wires coming off the coils go to the correct spark plugs. Go check out our website and look at the link under "wg's Tech Stuff Index" called coil repowering. This shows a simplified drawing of of these wires.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Starting problem no spark 26 Mar 2007 06:44 #123584

• mardavid
  • User
Ok i've tried the relay you've explained, connected all the wires right:

From pickups to ic igniter, Black and blue for 1/4, red and yellow for 2/3.
from igniter to coils, black wire (-) to 1/4 coil and green wire (-) to 2/3 coil.
With ignition on , cutoff switch on, putting a screwdriver between advancer and left pickup, 1/4 sparks,
screwdriver between advancer and right pickup, 2/3 sparks.
Fine my ic igniter, pickups and coils work.
BUT, when i swing the starter the spark plugs does not spark at all (supposed to be two at a time, 1 and 4; 2 and 3 and the advancer turns pass the pickup coils.
That puzzles me.

Starting problem no spark 26 Mar 2007 07:58 #123604

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Assuming the gap between the lobe on the advancer and the pick-ups is within specs, measure the voltage at the igniter while you are cranking the motor. Measure the voltage at the coils while cranking also.
KD9JUR

Starting problem no spark 27 Mar 2007 00:42 #123857

• mardavid
  • User
Voltage at the coils are 12volts plus, on positive and neg terminals of both coils with ignition and run switch ON.
While starting the voltage drops to approx 9volts, thats pressing the starter button and even shorting the solenoid.

• Page: