Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 14 Mar 2007 19:40 #120253

• Z1r Crazy
  • Z1r Crazy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 73 z1 kaw dragbike that I tore down and making a prostreet , thought I marked all the wires but I must have screwed something up, I made a panel for all my leads to go to so I would make it look clean and didnt have a bunch of wires going to the battery, might be the screw up??? this bike has the charging system ,
Ok I will try to tell you how I have this wired up ,
the Ign: dyna S : black wire to negative side of coil, white wire to positive of coil (dyna coils )
red wire to air killswitch (airshifter)
Regulator: 3 yellow wires to generator, red wire to positive side of terminal strip, bkack to negative side of terminal strip. Rectifirer: this has 4 black wires the big wire closest to mounting hole goes to poitive side of battery post.,other big wire goes to starter, small black wire close to positive big wire is going to ground??? other small black wire has a green stripe is going to start button???? start button: wire going to positive side of terminal strip other wire goes to the small black wire with green stripe to rec??? toggle switch: red wire to battery (fuesed) other wire to poistive side of terminal strip.
man if you guys can figure this mess out it would help me out a bunch!! thanks Donnie

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 06:34 #120336

• stone_cold
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Since no one has answered this yet I thought I'd try to get you moving in the right direction and maybe by me telling you all wrong someone will come in and correct me :P

I'm no wiring doctor but here is my stab at it. Please keep in mind that I'm not fimilar with your bike but some of the wiring is simular to other bikes I've worked on.

Let me start by saying that you've done a very neat job with the wiring you've done and you have parts of it wired correctly.

What doesn't work? If we know that we make can help you one system at a time.

What you have labeled as the rectifier is the starter solenoid. One of the big wires off the screw terminals goes to the starter and the other to the battery. The two small wires; one goes to ground and the other to the starter button (that part is correct).

The three yellow wires from the rectifier (top left item in your picture) go to the stator (I think you have that correct).On a '73 I would have thought you would have a seperate regulator and the red wire would go to it along with the black. Then the regulator would have a wire (on my bike it's white) that goes to the battery cable side of the solenoid. ** I'm just not sure for your bike. The rectifier you have looks a lot like the regulator/rectifier on my bike but the colors are wrong. You may have a replacement reg/rec assmy. In whick case I would think the red to the battery post on the solenoid and the black to ground --- but that's a guess.

The dyna S sounds like it's wired wrong. I would think the black wire goes to the neg side of the right coil and the white to the neg side of the left coil. The red to a switched power source. Then the coils get their power from a switched powersource or a relay if it has ever had the wiredgeorge mod done to it. as a matter of fact if you look at the wiredgeorge mod paper on this site it will show you how the Dyna S and coils should be wired.

I'm sorry I'm not more help but maybe you will get someone more qualified to help answer.

Good luck,

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/03/15 10:09

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/03/16 08:17
Attachments:

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 07:17 #120352

• stone_cold
  • User
Here is the Dyna S wiring.

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/03/15 10:24
Attachments:

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 10:42 #120411

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Z1r Crazy wrote:

I have a 73 z1 kaw dragbike that I tore down and making a prostreet , thought I marked all the wires but I must have screwed something up, I made a panel for all my leads to go to so I would make it look clean and didnt have a bunch of wires going to the battery, might be the screw up??? this bike has the charging system ,
Ok I will try to tell you how I have this wired up ,
the Ign: dyna S : black wire to negative side of coil, white wire to positive of coil (dyna coils )
red wire to air killswitch (airshifter)
Regulator: 3 yellow wires to generator, red wire to positive side of terminal strip, bkack to negative side of terminal strip. Rectifirer: this has 4 black wires the big wire closest to mounting hole goes to poitive side of battery post.,other big wire goes to starter, small black wire close to positive big wire is going to ground??? other small black wire has a green stripe is going to start button???? start button: wire going to positive side of terminal strip other wire goes to the small black wire with green stripe to rec??? toggle switch: red wire to battery (fuesed) other wire to poistive side of terminal strip.
man if you guys can figure this mess out it would help me out a bunch!! thanks Donnie

There's really not enough info here. Is the bike not starting, running, turning over, or charging?

Your Dyna description is incomplete. There should be more wires.

The rectifier only has 4 wires? Your description is that of a starter solenoid, not the rectifier.

Was that regulator working before?

The fastest way would be to see a diagram of what you wired up.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/03/15 13:52

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 12:46 #120441

• Z1r Crazy
  • User
The bike ran before I took down Now the bike will Not turn over , the ign has only 3 wires coming out of cable tubing, the ign has 4 wires looking at motor left side has red and white right has black red, so where is the other red wire? do could they have them wired together??? sorry about calling the solenoid a rectifier, It shows how much I know hu? I will try to draw a diagram if I can figure out how to do it on this computer, Thanks guys Donnie

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 13:53 #120457

• stone_cold
  • User
So, the engine will not spin over is our first issue.

Lets start at the starter and work our way back. There is a black heavy wire coming off the post on the side of the starter. That wire should go to one of the screw post on the solenoid. The other screw post has a heavy wire that goes to the positive post on the battery. The two litle wires are what energize the solenoid.

Make sure you have a good connection from the ground post of the battery to the engine case and a good connection from the the negative post of the battery to the frame.

To make the engine spin you should be able to ground one of the litte wires and positive to the other and the starter will spin. i know the two little wire are black and some stripe color but it really doesn't make a difference which one you ground or put fire to (it's just a coil for an electromagnet). We just want to see if it will spin in that configuration then we will find out why it won't turnover with the starter button.

Try that and let us know what happens. By that time I'll be home where I can look at the service manual and give you the correct colors.

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/03/15 16:57

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 15:07 #120477

• Z1r Crazy
  • User
Ok the motor will turn over with pushbutton,I unwired all the go fast stuff (airshifter ,revlimiter ,shiftlight, tach) and ign, so all I have now is power switch Start button and coils hooked up. she will turn over now , Now the Ign
it only had 3 wires coming out. the black is going to neg side Lt coil,, white negative side of Rt coil, now the red went to killswitch where should i go with it first? Thanks Donnie

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 15:37 #120482

• stone_cold
  • User
To power. I'm not sure where you're getting that power but it is normally from a switched source. if you just want to see if it will run, connect a wire from the positive post of the battery and connect it to the red wire on the dyna s. Make sure you have power to the "+" side of both coils and then fire it up.

Where are you located?? PM me and I'll give you my phone number and maybe we can walk through ot on the phone --- just a thought.

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 15 Mar 2007 16:20 #120491

• Z1r Crazy
  • User
the red wire is switched on my positive terminal, getting closer:P

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 16 Mar 2007 02:04 #120606

• Z1r Crazy
  • User
I have 12 volts to my coils now , thanks Stone cold for your help I will let you know when I get everything put back together and started

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 16 Mar 2007 14:32 #120795

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Z1r Crazy wrote:

I have 12 volts to my coils now , thanks Stone cold for your help I will let you know when I get everything put back together and started

Hey Crazy, what did you do?
I am always curious to know about coil voltage findings on other bikes. I would have never believed, just from the looks of my "new" bike, that it could be underpowered, so far as high side of the coils is/are concerned. I sure learned a lesson there. I had, like 9.58Vdc before my coil power mod. I will eventually get mine running for at least half an hour between plug sets. If there was somebody whose initials were George L. on the site, he could help us all out, but you know how selfish some people can be with their time and all that.

NEED A WIRING DOCTOR 17 Mar 2007 14:08 #121084

• Z1r Crazy
  • User
I didnt have the ground from the solenoid to a good ground, well thats what I think anyhow.

• Page: