• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 12:41 #117792

• Alibi
  • Alibi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1982 KZ440 LTD

I've been trying to get this silly thing running today but I haven't had any luck. I installed a starter I got off ebay, hooked up the chain and cog, replaced the side cover, filled with oil, and then hit the start button.

Click. Click.

I hear the solenoid clicking and I can feel the starter "jump" a little and get a bit warm (after several attempts at the clicking). But... no fire.

The old starter was burned up--totally blackened on the inside and it smelt terrible. So... any thoughts on what is causing this? The solenoid maybe? Bad starter (again) from ebay?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 12:45 #117798

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Sounds like way too much resistance from the engine? I'd bet the starter would spin like crazy if you took off the chain... I'm thinking the problem isn't with the starter?

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 12:49 #117801

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I may not even be close on this one, but sometimes if I get that clicking sound it is because my battery is almost dead. Try putting it on the charger over night and see if it works tomorrow.

Good luck.

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 13:01 #117806

• Alibi
  • User
New battery and its sitting on the charger right now. I've had it on the charger off and on the last couple days so I'd think that it would be charged by now...

Is there anyway to bypass the solenoids and whatnot and just hook 12v directly to the starter? I could use jumper cables hooked to my car's battery (not running tho, that'd be too much power...)

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 14:23 #117823

• Alibi
  • User
Ok, I tried using my car battery and jumper cables (without the car running). No luck.

I'm starting to wonder if the motor is seized. How can I check if it is seized and how do I go about un-siezing it?

The back tire spins freely when in neutral, but in gear it won't move. Is that normal or is that a bad sign? I really don't know much about bikes yet...

I'm guessing I'm going to have to drain the new oil, remove the side cover that has the stator, and try spinning the crankshaft with some penetrating oil squirted into the spark plug holes?

Any other possibilites?

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 14:40 #117829

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
When you get the side case off again . Try and turn the Engine over by the crank shaft ,, take out the spark plugs first it will make it easier

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 20:42 #117940

• Alibi
  • User
Ok, I took the side cover off again... and I had absolutely no problems in turning the crank. I could see into the spark plug holes and see parts moving so I guess thats a good thing.

However... I can't turn the starter by hand. When I first put it in I could, but not anymore. *sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to pull it and take it apart. If I'm lucky, I might be able to fix it by using spare parts from the original starter.

Hmm... what a mess...

KZ440 trying to start... 06 Mar 2007 20:46 #117945

• Sputnic81
  • User
I had a similar problem with my starter when rebuilding my bike. I took the thing apart and cleaned it up and greased it up a bit. It has been fine ever since. Might be worth a try.

KZ440 trying to start... 07 Mar 2007 00:06 #117985

• Alibi
  • User
Ok, so I pulled the starter and start to dissasemble it when I discovered that the bolt that has the power cable attached to it had almost welded itself to the inner...um... the part that spins inside the starter. After I FINALLY manage to get it to come unstuck, I took my trusty dremel to it and cleaned it up.

After re-installing it, it spins nice and free now :D

Thanks guys!!

I've got the side cover and some fuel in the tank so tomorrow I'm going to try to get 'er running! Yay!

KZ440 trying to start... 07 Mar 2007 03:43 #117998

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Nice. Congrats!

KZ440 trying to start... 07 Mar 2007 03:48 #117999

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Don't burn up another starter. I would suggest working very slowly and methodically to track down your problem. Don't let any preconceived ideas distract you from what you see and find....I say that because that's what messes me up!:pinch: IF it were mine, I would leave the side cover off, put the bike up on the centerstand, pull the plug wires, and try to start it. Just little taps on the starter button to see if the engine turns.... did you try it with the starter chain off? Be patient, and Good Luck!

KZ440 trying to start... 07 Mar 2007 07:44 #118042

• Alibi
  • User
yeah, I tried it with the starter chain off and it spun strongly. Its back together now with some new spark plugs but I'm not getting it to start yet...

• Page: