Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can I use a different electric tach? 01 Mar 2007 15:42 #116517

• OKC_Kent
  • OKC_Kent's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
My 83 750 uses an electric tachometer and I need one, and they seem to be very rare; it is shared with the 550 LTD of that year too.

Would anyone know if an electric tach from a different Kawasaki will work? I guess it reads a signal from somewhere to trigger it, would that signal be common among electric tachs by Kawasaki?

Hopefully I could find a newer style to pop on the bike, maybe with a matching speedometer too?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I use a different electric tach? 01 Mar 2007 20:43 #116589

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
OKC_Kent wrote:

My 83 750 uses an electric tachometer and I need one, and they seem to be very rare; it is shared with the 550 LTD of that year too.

Would anyone know if an electric tach from a different Kawasaki will work? I guess it reads a signal from somewhere to trigger it, would that signal be common among electric tachs by Kawasaki?

Yes, it just reads the signal from one of your coils. Even one from a 750 twin would work (if they had them). Any tach that reads one pulse per revoltution will work. That should mean most KZ's through the mid eighties which used electric tachs.

Car tachs for 4-cyl motors using a distributor usually require 2 pulses per revolution, so you'd need an adapter for car tachs.

I don't know if the later cop bikes used the same type of tachs.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/03/01 23:47

Can I use a different electric tach? 02 Mar 2007 04:44 #116638

• OKC_Kent
  • OKC_Kent's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Thanks Lou, you just made this a lot easier for me. Now I have something to look for when I'm e-baying.:)
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: