Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 28 Feb 2007 18:02 #116219

• IlllMikeIlll
  • IlllMikeIlll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok here it is. I have this bike, and it is junk. However, I love it when its not being a POS. I have in turn spent more money trying to get this bike to run than it is worth, I could have put a sizable down payment on something new. I have faith in this machine, besides with out the fairing and a fresh coat of paint. People like my bike. Its old its ugly but its mine.

On to my problem. This bike caught on fire at one point and time, this is evident due to the burnt up left switch gear and a totaly toasted and re-enginered wiring harness. I took my bike to a car wash one day and well in the "well designed" new "harness" some one had over looked that more than half of the insulation is melted, so needless to say water got into the wiring harness. Wires shorted, now 6 months later I find a good harness on ebay. for 20 bucks, I dont know if any of you guys have KZP's but were talking at least 150 for one that hasnt been cut. This one is clean no tape, no added connections. Factory from tip to tip. Now my situation is

Does any one have specificly a wiring diagram for an 1982 Kz1000P P-1 or is any one here familiar enough with the wires on these machines to help me wire the thing up... what I need is lights horn blinkers brake lights and hazards. all the colored connectors are there but I do not know where to put the fusebox, I actualy have inline fuses because the origional box was in such poor shape. I can figure out the gears and headlights or the front of the harness because I believe all thats in good shape. I found the coil wires and the ground. The oil pressure and the wires for the stator or alt. what ever this bike has. I have a J motor

Any Ideas Guys? I dont care what I have to do I only payed 20 bucks for the harness. I just want the bike to run and be good for texas safety inspection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 28 Feb 2007 19:34 #116245

• IlllMikeIlll
  • User
I am looking at the kz1000 service manual at the diagrams. I wonder if I could use one of these, any one know if my bike is similar to any of these? I have the clymers m451

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 28 Feb 2007 22:24 #116300

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
IlllMikeIlll wrote:

I am looking at the kz1000 service manual at the diagrams. I wonder if I could use one of these, any one know if my bike is similar to any of these? I have the clymers m451

Hi welcome to the post. I trust P stands for police. It probably has/had more miles of wire than Fridays lottery drawing has dollars!:ohmy:

You should could get enough info from any of the diagrams to put the bare essentials into play on your ride. Odds are, the wire colors will never match, but reliable sources report you are good enough to try and do this if you can muster enough patience and take it one circuit at a time.
Relays, connectors, switches etc. are not magic, they _do_ most times however, suffer from near terminal cases of spaghettification!:woohoo:

Someone else here may tell you the best place to actually start. I would suggest you study hard and start a clear, carefully worded and illustrated repair log/journal before you strip the old harness off. Some others will likely disagree with this step. I can write a novel to rival Gone With the Wind, just on a piece of wire laying on a shop bench.:whistle:

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 01 Mar 2007 12:06 #116428

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
hehe! Give me a call...

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/03/01 15:09
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 01 Mar 2007 12:30 #116441

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Someone else here may tell you the best place to actually start. I would suggest you study hard and start a clear, carefully worded and illustrated repair log/journal before you strip the old harness off. Some others will likely disagree with this step. I can write a novel to rival Gone With the Wind, just on a piece of wire laying on a shop bench.:whistle:

Jim's a sissy. Strip all the wires out, and then wire it. Come on, it's not like you can actually get lost running a wire down a bike's backbone!
OK, seriously, wiring is no big deal. Make sure you use proper connectors, run one wire at a time, use at least 5 different color wire, test each circuit with a multi-meter, leave enough slack to use that split tube stuff they sell at the auto store. In my opinion, it's easier to wire a bike from scratch than repair a messed up one. And it's a really good way to get to know your bike.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 01 Mar 2007 13:51 #116486

• wireman
  • Visitor
pstrbrc wrote:

JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Jim's a sissy. Strip all the wires out, and then wire it. Come on, it's not like you can actually get lost running a wire down a bike's backbone!
OK, seriously, wiring is no big deal. Make sure you use proper connectors, run one wire at a time, use at least 5 different color wire, test each circuit with a multi-meter, leave enough slack to use that split tube stuff they sell at the auto store. In my opinion, it's easier to wire a bike from scratch than repair a messed up one. And it's a really good way to get to know your bike.

ditto!:P

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 01 Mar 2007 15:07 #116507

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
pstrbrc wrote:

JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Jim's a sissy....

_HEY YOU_ and you, and you, watch it...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 02 Mar 2007 20:20 #116860

• IlllMikeIlll
  • User
Im going to see what happens tomorow. What scares me is not really knowing where all the wires go I just dont wanna burn something up. Cross yer fingers guys.. Ive had this bike over a year. with less than 300 miles on it....Im ready to get it fixed and ride the damn thing. what scares me is that everything is hardwired into the main harness that is already on the bike so I dont have the ease of unhooking connectors... I dont think I am going to try a complete rewire, the harness I got is in good shape. No broken wires I could find and all.:( I hope this works. If not I am going to call you george I know your genius.

Post edited by: IlllMikeIlll, at: 2007/03/02 23:27

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 03 Mar 2007 11:55 #117006

• IlllMikeIlll
  • User
Well it looks like I am coming along fine. I do have a problem though. In my origional wiring harness the switch gears had been hard wired into the main harness.. this is fine i seem to be able to match up wires pretty good. The only thing is the wires arent always the same guage, same colors but different diameters any comments here? should I just hook em up like I see em?

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 04 Mar 2007 17:49 #117342

• IlllMikeIlll
  • User
Sucess, Everything works except the rear blinkers, I had to figure out what wires were what on the switch gears, then on the main harness too. I have a word doc of what all the wires were on both, any of you guys think I should put that in the files section? is that even an option? I think other people could possibly find this information usefull.

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 05 Mar 2007 05:12 #117420

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
hells yeah - the more the merrier!!

Grats on gettin 'er done.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Hey electrical Guys 1982 Kz1000P Need I say more? 05 Mar 2007 09:52 #117448

• hmondo
  • User
Please post...please post! I have an '89 P-8 that I'm sure I will need help with, one of these days! Thanks and well done figuring everything out!
1989 KZ1000 P-8 (Police)
1987 ZL1000
1986 Concours (Project Bike)

• Page: