Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dead Coil? 25 Feb 2007 18:03 #115376

• kzwolfsr
  • kzwolfsr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Today I did a little work on my SR, both today and yesterday, since I put the bike all together started it and heard these loud slapping, sorta like papping, not popping noises and thought it was my valves. So yesterday off came the cover to check clearances and they were good. So I decided to hook up the coils and such and started the bike without the cover on, and it started really weak, I must tell ya, ran for like o saaaay 2-3 seconds then died never touching the 1000RPM mark. But I did find where the noise was coming from. You know the SR's come with that emmissions air induction system, I then realised that Z1 sent me the wrong valve cover gasket, not entirely their fault, but I did tell them the exact facts about the model of bike I had, but that emissions thing is never noticed. But yeah, it intros air into the exhaust through the head to the exhaust valve and as there was combustion the exhaust smoke and noise came through the routing and leaked out of there.
OOOOOOOOOOO sOOOOO sorry, I lack the company of freinds to talk to about bikes! Today I tried to check the reason why the bike isn't starting and I pulled no.4 spark plug to check spark and no spark. Got out the tester, checked voltage to coils, was good, got voltage! Did secondary resistance check across both coils and on coil for 3&4 I got 24.96 but when I switched to coil 1&2 it was over load and I just couldn't believe so I went back and forth to each coil and I just got the same thing.....24 to OL, 24 to OL. So does this mean that that 1&2 coil has gone to heaven? It was a good day today ladies and gentlemen, I got pics!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dead Coil? 25 Feb 2007 23:23 #115457

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the 24.96 is 24.96 ohms then the coil is shorted. If it's 24.96 K ohms, it could be ok.

The OL coil may be broke, or the wires may be broke, or the resistor caps, if any, may be broke. (You should be on the larger or largest ohm-scale to measure the secondary.)

Either way, if the coils are 30 years old, you want to get new ones if you can afford it.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/02/26 02:25

Dead Coil? 26 Feb 2007 06:56 #115509

• kzwolfsr
  • kzwolfsr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Yea its K ohms Loudhvx. I do know how to use my meter, abit. I checked the cap only on one side but I guess its gone now huh? Do yout think I should get them from the junkyard or just get new ones from Z1? Ok that was a stupid question when you look at it in the long run which I did after I asked the questionI will just get new ones. Pics?
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

Dead Coil? 26 Feb 2007 11:45 #115590

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
That's strange Matthew that you have the air induction valves on your SR. Those weren't on the 1978 models, they started in 1979.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: