This is a continuation of my trying to sort out what exactly is going on here:

Picture and quotes taken from
Please help me time my Dyna

stever wrote:

Early advancer which requires 3a rotor

stever wrote:

Later advancer which needs rotor marked 3

Some history might help:

When I first got involved with my Dyna unit, it came to me used, courtesy of E-bay. I didn't test fit anything, as the advance unit on my bike had worn-out, bent springs.

The guy I bought the Dyna S unit from sent me his advancer unit for free when I told him about my situation, so now I had two advancer units, and swapped his unit in because of the better condition springs and easier to see marks. Apparently it is the unit that requires the #3a rotor.

When I finally converted my ignition over to the Dyna S setup, I discovered that the rotor was too long. It was a number "1" rotor, which as Jeff Saunders pointed out above, was supposedly correct for the unit. Thanks to the board, I contacted Raymond Goshorn at Dyna and we exchanged a couple of e-mails, as follows, which resulted in me getting a number #3 rotor, which actually FIT the advancer unit I had swapped in. I never said anything about early / later rotors at the time. I didn't know what I do now.

These emails are accumulated; the initial one is at the bottom. It went out after I had the information Patton posted. Look how quick they responded to me. . .I got the replacement rotor within a week.

From : Raymond Goshorn <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
To : <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>

Subject : RE: Dyna TekMail
Date : Thu, Mar 01, 2007 03:13 PM

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Please note the rotor will be going out today, no charge. Have fun with the bike and be safe!

Hope this helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely,

Raymond Goshorn
Customer Service Manager
Dynatek Inc.

(800)928-DYNA, ext.4172
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:05 AM
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: RE: Dyna TekMail

Dear Mr. Goshorn,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my request for assistance. I appreciate the information that you have supplied me to this point.

Since it is possible, I would much prefer receiving the correct rotor for the application, rather than take a chance destroying the only rotor I have at this juncture. My address is as follows:

(Information deleted)

If there are any costs involved to obtain the correct part, please send me notification to that effect.

Thaks again in "advance," riding season awaits!

(me)

"Raymond Goshorn" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Please find attached the instruction information you might need. This is in a .PDF format and Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open it. You can download a free version of this software at:

www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

Please note the rotor you should have for this application is the -3 rotor. The difference s .080"; the -1 rotor is 1.170" tall and the -3 is 1.095" tall. If supplied with an address, we could ship you one out, or you could take the rotor to the machine shop and have them cut the top down .080".

If we can be of further assistance, please contact us again.

Sincerely,
Raymond Goshorn
Customer Service Manager
Dynatek Inc.

(800)928-DYNA, ext.4172
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Original Message

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 10:50 AM
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Dyna TekMail

Company:
Phone:
I would Like to ask a question: I have a #1 rotor on a 1978 Kawasaki KZ-650 as part of a kit I installed. Apparently the rotor is too tall for the application, as it is binding when I am trying to secure it with the hold-down hardware. Is there a way that this part can be either modified, or exchanged. I need to fix this problem, my bike's timing is not advancing. I guess you could say I have a retarded bike.

I would like you to add *WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE ADDED?* Specifically,

I Found your site fromOtherHttp://www.kzrider.com

You would think the pro blem is fixed, right? Well, here is more information to really muddy things up.

I timed the bike, and it pings. Really bad. I have a lot of room on the trigger plate, so I retard it to get the engine running better, basically by ear, and today I find the original advancer unit that came off the bike, the one with the bent up springs, and look at it closer.

Oddly enough, the #1 rotor fits this advancer perfectly, but I'm not out of the woods on this situation yet. My original advancer doesn't look like either of the previous pictures, in that it has an 202 stamped on it, the weights look different, and the T-F marks are spaced different than either of the other two rotors. So even though the #1 rotor fits, I don't know whether it is correct for the bike.

I counted the coils on the springs, and swapped them off the free advancer on to mine, when I saw they were both nine coil springs. I don't know yet whether they have different tensions. And of course you can't get the springs alone from the dealer. But according to my research with Kawasaki, there is only one advancer listed for all of the point-triggered 650's, and maybe that isn't the case. It appears
that there may be three.

If a #1 rotor and a #3 rotor differ only in length, should I expect that there is a different rotor out there that modifies timing on a #1 rotor like a #3a does? What is going on here? My engine number is:

KZ650DE008787

Maybe someone in this forum can help me. I look forward to resolving something that is supposed to have made my life easier when I got involved with it. To be honest, even with all of this aggravation, the bike starts easier and runs better with whatever is in place now instead of points. So nothing has been lost in the Tweakafest. But I have learned far more that I ever intended to.
Man, do I feel like a dummy. . .I went back and looked at the original post. . .

Savedrider has a 1975 Z1B 900. . .the first two pictures AND apparently the advancer sent to me as a favor by the guy who sold me the Dyna unit belong on a 900, not the 650. Probably what happened was when the other guy installed the Dyna kit on his 650, he already had a wrong advancer on it, so it never worked right for him. Same locked rotor issue I ran into. Maybe that is why the springs on it weren't streched at all. . .

It's interesting to learn that the advancer will interchange between the 650 and the 900.

Aggravating, but interesting.

:woohoo:

Here's some pictures to show the difference. The one on the right is for a 900, and should have the #3a rotor, instead of the #3 it now has.

Here is the 650 unit with the #1 rotor and no springs yet.

Maybe it's fixed?

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: