Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coils for a KZ650B1? 27 Jan 2007 17:13 #108620

• barquirt
  • barquirt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My KZ650B1 is showing signs of having a weak spark. She has only 20,000 miles on her but I guess time may also be a factor here. I've posted on some other small issues my bike has been having with carburetion and plug fouling and a lot of the symptoms and replies I've posted are pointing to the spark getting weak. My charging system is all new (I replaced it this summer) along with the battery and tests with my voltmeter show good charge (14.5V + at 4,000 rpm)

If I choose to replace the coils, which brand has seen the most use/success on this board? Accel? Dyna? I know I need 3 ohm resistance coils and I have a points-style igniton setup. A coil/wire set from Accel runs about $150, Dyna coils are $120 or so. Any stories of success or failure with either brand? Thanks all...

I've also seen posts referring to a "coil mod" but I'm not quite sure how this would work with my '77.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coils for a KZ650B1? 27 Jan 2007 17:34 #108628

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I was lucky getting almost new Andrews coils and wires on ebay for $56 + shipping but everyone here has had good words about Dyna coils. Both coils and wires will be about $150 from tinyurl.com/3xjsbj The "coil mod" basically gives a strong 12v directly to your coils by way of an automotive relay. You tend to lose voltage thru wiring and/or bad connections. This coil mod will get rid of sooty plugs and provide a stronger spark. Have you ohm tested your coils? Mine were at 3.9-4.0 and my new coils were at 3.1, which made a HUGE differance in starting and driveability!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/01/27 20:37
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: