Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starting without ignition? 23 Jan 2007 17:55 #107750

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This may sound dumb, but my '78 KZ650 is just sitting in my living room (in limbo, under repairs) and I have yet to start it due to no ignition. All it is missing is the keyed ignition--is there anyway to bypass that and start the bike before I replace the ignition? I want to see if the bike actually runs before I do anything else to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting without ignition? 23 Jan 2007 18:14 #107753

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
check out your repair manual. the wiring diagram should show you how to jump the wires.

Starting without ignition? 24 Jan 2007 06:10 #107823

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I guess you don't watch much TV. All they do is reach up under the dash and grab a handful of wires, grab any two (already stripped back of course)and just touch 2-3 times and it starts!! Seriously, with basic knowledge the elect diagram will show which wires to connect...

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/01/24 09:37
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Starting without ignition? 24 Jan 2007 06:45 #107833

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Your points and coils will need to be powered. If you don't have an ignition switch, note there is a heavier gauge white wire that would normally plug into the ignition switch. This is 12VDC that feeds the switch. Go to the plug on the wiring harness and locate the terminal that carries that large (I think it is 12 or 14 ga. wire) and put a "jumper on this white wire or its pin in the large connector that would normally plug into the ignition switch. Take care not to touch the frame with this wire as it is "hot". Put a jumper wire on the connector pin associated with this wire. Your ignition switch has yet another large connector where the right hand switch gear connects. Find this connector and the pin where the power runs TO the kill switch. Run that jumper wire to the pin on the switch gear connector associated with the wire that provides power TO the kill switch. The power out of the kill switch feeds your coils and the starter relay trigger. The starter itself is hotwired via this relay. Once you have made this jumper you will be able to start the bike with the starter button.

You can get a replacement ignition switch that plugs right in from www.z1enterprises.com and comes with new keys (meaning the old keys will need to be kept for a seat lock, helmet lock or fork lock, etc. If their web site doesn't show the switch, they do carry them and you need to ask.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/01/24 09:52
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Starting without ignition? 24 Jan 2007 08:12 #107849

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Can you get the gas tank off the bike? It might be hard to do if you can't unlock the seat. You can still get to the coils yellow lead, just harder to do. Seems an easy way to power the coils is to run a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery directly to the coils, bypassing all the electrical harness. Use your kick-start, or use a screwdriver on the starter relay to activate the solenoid and starter. MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL IF YOU TRY THE SCREWDRIVER STUNT!!!

Starting without ignition? 24 Jan 2007 11:07 #107884

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks fellas. I actually LOOKED at my wiring diagram and it makes alot more sense to me. At least now I know that engine runs.

• Page: