• Page:

TOPIC:

Re-wiring front end 21 Jan 2007 19:25 #107355

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,
I recently (as in TODAY) went and picked up a '78 KZ650 with a Kawasaki 750 motor. The guy I bought it from was making a sort of piecemeal bike out of about four different ones; he finished wiring the tail end but didnt get to re-wiring the front end (he pulled the front off of a Kawasaki 750LTD). It needs a new ignition and the headlight and blinkers put on, along with all the other little things that are attached to the handlebars. The only problem is Im pretty clueless when it comes to rewiring and this is my first motorcycle ever so Im in the dark. I ordered a manual; can anyone give me any advice? Or at least explain how to read the wiring diagrams? and are there going to be any compatability problems between the 650 and the 750 front?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-wiring front end 21 Jan 2007 19:35 #107359

• wireman
  • Visitor
the easiest thing to do is wire it like one or the other,when you start mixing and matching wiring things get complicated unless youve got some practice;)

Re-wiring front end 22 Jan 2007 10:12 #107441

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
First thing you do is set everything out on the floor!
Then scratch your head and open a beer!

Post edited by: z1kzonly, at: 2007/01/22 13:16
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Re-wiring front end 22 Jan 2007 11:39 #107456

• greatbeefalo
  • greatbeefalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Nah, I've already covered that a few times :)

Re-wiring front end 22 Jan 2007 11:45 #107457

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
How you doin man?

Sounds like we got something in common. I am going to rewire a 77 650 that has some piecemeal aspects to it. This is also my first bike (dirt bikes and scooters notwithstanding).

I am getting ready to re-wire the whole thing, but can't bring myself to begin the project. I am just having too damn much fun riding it as is.... But when I do start, I feel that you and I will have a lot to offer each other with this undertaking.

I don't know if you have it already or not, but there is a wiring diagram download on this site. Follow the tree from the home page for KZ information.

Also, do you have a volt/ohm meter? I got a couple that I got at radio shack for 25 bucks or so. They're very helpful for locating shorts and identifying wires and switch legs.

Cheers
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Re-wiring front end 22 Jan 2007 13:03 #107466

• bullitt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
hi greatbeefalo
if i can do it anyone can.rebuilt my
kz750e last year first ever go at a project like
it. layed out the wiring loom on the work bench
and cried no seriously took my time used my
manual bikes working great better than before.
never seen so much bodged and taped wires dodgy
connecters in my life.
plus the guys on this site and the info i got
were great you can do it ;)

Re-wiring front end 22 Jan 2007 15:36 #107496

• monzaguy
  • User
Got a wiring problem too.Bought a turn signal.horn,lights, etc,etc,switches,(as in both)off a 1981 KZ 440 A2.They were in much better shape than mine, so the deal was struck.Heres the prob, my bike is a 1980 kz 440 A1, and now I have too many wires commin out of the turn signal switch.Did some readin and my manual says this.turns indicators off after 4 seconds,plus the time it takesfor the bike to cover 50 yards. system will only switch off indicators after both conditions have been fufilled. Anyways ,(IT) the switch incorperates a distance sensor (IN) the speedo and a control unit which includes the timing circuitry.This is right out of the manual.Haynes #281 Kawasaki 400 &440 Twins.Page164. So,do I now need to go out and buy these distance sensors andspeedo control unit things, or are they wired into the harness somewhere EASY to get at? The parts bike they came off is still very much intact, so getting these things shouldnt be a big deal.Sure hope someone out there has done this swap or knows how .Whats the best way to go about doin it?

• Page: