Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Headlight 20 Jan 2007 19:20 #107179

• KZSteelers
  • KZSteelers's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on my headlight. I replaced the bulb for it a while back, thinking a halogen bulb would give me some more light.

My headlight sucks. Is there a better bulb that I havent found yet, or do I possibly have an electrical problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Headlight 20 Jan 2007 19:54 #107185

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Here's a good recent thread on headlight replacement

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...mit,20/limitstart,0/
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Headlight 20 Jan 2007 23:30 #107205

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
My 650 had already been converted from the sealed beam when I bought it. Tried an 85/100, but was too much for the system. Clamped an ammeter on the main wire to the fuse panel, was drawing over 15A, and had blew a fuse or two.

I replaced the standard H4 bulb with a GE Nighthawk halogen (55/60). The difference was, well, night and day :P . Considerably more expensive at about $25 a bulb, but well worth it. More on the GE bulbs here:

GE Nighthawk bulbs

Here are the images from the above site:

Nighthawk headlight

They may look exaggerated, but they are representative of what the bulbs are like.

Post edited by: dkmk, at: 2007/01/21 02:38
Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."
Attachments:

Headlight 20 Jan 2007 23:36 #107206

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Ooops! :laugh: Wrong pic. Here is the standard headlight image from the GE site:

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."
Attachments:

Headlight 21 Jan 2007 02:38 #107208

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
KZSteelers wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on my headlight. I replaced the bulb for it a while back, thinking a halogen bulb would give me some more light.

My headlight sucks. Is there a better bulb that I havent found yet, or do I possibly have an electrical problem?

The nighthawk bulbs are a nice upgrade, but its worthwhile checking things out. Clean all the contacts involved from the battery to your headlight socket. Measure the voltage(with key on) at the battery and at the headlight.

If the voltage is good and connections are fine, make sure your head light is properly adjusted for beam height.

Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Headlight 21 Jan 2007 05:46 #107211

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
On the previous thread ("Headlight passed away") there was a question about different light dispersion patterns between motorcycles and cages. Used to be true. Europe had different standards of pattern for auto than the US did. Over the years these have merged. It's the same pattern. Buy a good headlight lens/reflector unit at an auto supply store, then go to WalMart and buy the best bulb that fits it that you can afford.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Headlight 15 Feb 2007 16:23 #112689

• KZSteelers
  • KZSteelers's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the help guys, its much appreciated.

I read about a VW golf headlight, and a sylvania bulb...I think I'll give that a shot and see where it gets me.

We've got about 2 feet of snow here in Western PA. My storage shed / dad's airplane hangar is snowed in, so it will be a while before I can get over to the airport and work on it. Bike doesnt like to start when it is a whopping 15 degrees for your high, too.

Thanks again guys :-D

• Page: