Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coils compatability 18 Jan 2007 14:34 #106672

• 77Davo650
  • 77Davo650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I know my 77kz650 is different than 78 on as far as some electrical parts, but will I still be able to use the green dyna coils or accel #140403 (non-cdi) coils or is my system a cdi which requires accel 140404?
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coils compatability 18 Jan 2007 14:52 #106674

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Without knowing anything more from your post, it is kind of hard to say what is needed for your machine: take the point cover off and verify whether you have points. That would most likely make it a non-CDI system. If someone who might have owned the bike prior to you has changed ignition components, you might already have upgraded coils. You can verify that by taking off the gaas tank and looking to see if the wires are molded into the coils. Even so, they could have been changed somewhere in the murky past. Check the primary resistance with an ohmeter. 3 ohms seems to be the magic number around here. My bike runs fine with 4.2 per coil. The outside spec is 4.5. Wiredgeorge posted a coil isolation circuit somewhere around here and that modification will cut parasitic electrical loss about a volt, which tanslates to a hotter spark at the plug.

coils compatability 18 Jan 2007 15:59 #106693

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
AFAIK, the last Kawasaki to use a CDI system was the two stroke triples, none of the KZ four strokes had CDI, although later models had electronic ignition. And the 3 ohm coils work fine with the electronic ignition.
KD9JUR

• Page: