Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coil mod.. 17 Jan 2007 16:58 #106463

• brianrae33
  • brianrae33's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
question for anyone or you wiredgeorge...your 12v auto relay..can it be any or a specific one...noticed you had mentioned the bosch..just wondering what to ask for at the parts store..thanx..always grateful for the tips and advice..
p.s.
sorry should have initially mentioned was referring to wg's coil powering mod...sorry..

Post edited by: brianrae33, at: 2007/01/17 20:00
1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coil mod.. 17 Jan 2007 20:08 #106530

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I used to find the relays and pigtails in Pep Boys and would generally use Bosch brand but have since started buying them in bulk from an electronics company. Unfortunately, the catalog is in my shop. You can generally use the relay which would also be used for a truck light bar OR go to a stereo/alarm place and get a relay/pigtail there. It will have 5 numbered poles. These relays are generic in function.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

coil mod.. 18 Jan 2007 16:54 #106701

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i believe you should get a relay that is normally open (powered closed)....they do make them that are normally closed (powered open). make sure you get the right one.

coil mod.. 19 Jan 2007 05:31 #106763

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
brianrae33 wrote:

question for anyone or you wiredgeorge...your 12v auto relay..can it be any or a specific one...noticed you had mentioned the bosch..just wondering what to ask for at the parts store..thanx..always grateful for the tips and advice.

Here you go man. This is a good place to buy them from:
www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=330-070
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

coil mod.. 19 Jan 2007 06:21 #106773

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
arobsum wrote:

i believe you should get a relay that is normally open (powered closed)....they do make them that are normally closed (powered open). make sure you get the right one.

OK, NOT an electrical genius here, getting ready to do the coil mod. But now I'm really confused!:S
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

coil mod.. 19 Jan 2007 06:41 #106776

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Partsexpress was the place where I bought my last bunch. Thanks BT! The info regarding the relay normal open or normal closed? I have not seen an automotive relay that didn't shut when power was applied as a trigger. I suppose you could find several types of relays at a fancy electronics store but in Partexpress.com or an automotive store, just buy a 5 pin relay and pigtail.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

coil mod.. 19 Jan 2007 19:24 #106951

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
wiredgeorge wrote:

Partsexpress was the place where I bought my last bunch. Thanks BT! The info regarding the relay normal open or normal closed? I have not seen an automotive relay that didn't shut when power was applied as a trigger. I suppose you could find several types of relays at a fancy electronics store but in Partexpress.com or an automotive store, just buy a 5 pin relay and pigtail.

you are probably correct here...i didn't consider the automotive angle, i apologize..in my line of work we deal with both varieties quite often. sorry for the confusion.

coil mod.. 20 Jan 2007 11:06 #107076

• wiredgeorge
  • User
There are several types of relays used in automotive applications but it is highly unlikely someone would find the wrong type unknowingly. There is also a "delay" type relay and I use a different type relay to control the 6-way power seats on my 80 Caddy. The original controls don't work with the 79 motors as their logic changed... had to use 79 as all 80 seat motors are dead... they cased them in brittle plastic that falls apart like peanut brittle and there are none left in the known universe hehe Anyway, the relay/switch I went with had to be hunted for and bought from an electronic specialty place and I had to buy a black box and do the internal wiring myself, etc... Can't think of a reason why you would want a relay to open when you triggered it but I guess there must be reasons because they do make them. All autoparts store relays I have noted have four or five poles (87 or 87 and 87B... twin power out) and close when triggered.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: