Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S ignition 11 Jan 2007 20:01 #105090

• Bluemeanie
  • Bluemeanie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Z1 has a nice Dyna S ignition for $120 without coils or wires.I just installed a set of Andrews coils and Accel wires (Great ebay find, almost new). The coils checked out at 3.1 ohms, will these coils work with the Dyna S and does anyone else here use that system? How's it holding up, is there a notable difference? Thanks.. :cheer:
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S ignition 11 Jan 2007 21:32 #105107

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I think that going a bit higher is ok, just not lower than the 3 ohm mark.
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Dyna S ignition 15 Jan 2007 06:21 #105755

• Bluemeanie
  • User
Thanks 77kz650, but other than being maintenense free is there a performance improvement?

Dyna S ignition 15 Jan 2007 07:27 #105765

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i did a search for andrews coils and found harley stuff only...where are you guys finding these coils?:)

Dyna S ignition 15 Jan 2007 09:27 #105793

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Bluemeanie wrote:

Thanks 77kz650, but other than being maintenense free is there a performance improvement?

Would say there's no performance improvement so long as the points remain clean, unpitted and in perfect adjustment. Believe this is because the ignition timing relies on signal to the coils whether from points or otherwise. The benefit comes from not having the gradual performance loss suffered from wear in a points system.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Dyna S ignition 15 Jan 2007 12:45 #105844

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
there will not be any horse power increase to the parts you are using. the dyna S keeps you from having to set your points. if you had kawasaki electronic pickups to begin with you are stepping backwards. the dyna is sensitive to heat vibration and voltage. it has tiny delicate wires too.

the coils at 3 ohms will work better at higher revs-above 8000 if all connections are solid. the option to use any wires are a benifit compared to the permenant wire stock coils.

Dyna S ignition 16 Jan 2007 06:24 #106043

• Bluemeanie
  • User
Thanks guys, maybe I'll stick with points for awhile. I'm really anal about my maintenence so keeping on top of my points are no problem. About the Andrews coils, I don't think they make them anymore for the Jap bikes. I got them off of ebay for $56+ shipping. Almost new condition with Accel wires. Thanks guys, all questions answered! :cheer:
Attachments:

Dyna S ignition 17 Jan 2007 07:48 #106275

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The dyna S will sure help with the starting issues . It is way easier to set and should last far longer then the points . I love my dyna S and will NEVER go back to the points setup, in fact I sold my old coils and point plate a month ago. Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Dyna S ignition 17 Jan 2007 12:33 #106358

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The price of the Dyna S has come down over the years... compare it to a couple of sets of points/condensors and it doesn't take many tune ups to break even.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Dyna S ignition 17 Jan 2007 13:56 #106383

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
There is actually a significant performance improvement in using electronic ignition versus points and condenser.

When the points are closed, current flows through your coils, saturating them with a magnetic field. When the points open, the current stops and the field collapses and you get a spark. This is not efficient - that's why you have a condenser to reduce the arcing on the points and prevent them from burning up quickly.

When points open, it takes several microseconds for the current to stop and for the field to begin to collapse. The spark voltage builds slowly.

With electronic ignition, the system uses electronics to stop the current and the time is almost instantaneous. As a result the spark voltage will build much quicker.

So what is the difference? Not much when your plugs are clean and all is well with your motor. Put a few miles on the plugs and deposits form on the insulator. As the spark voltage builds in the coil, it can leak down the insulator to ground and not spark reliably. The electronic ignition builds much faster and sparks stronger as it does not have time to leak down the insulator.

You can run the same plugs longer and your bike will run better. Ever wind up 2nd and 3rd gear and hear it miss and backfire? You figure its loaded up and you are right - your spark is failing due to older plugs. With electronic ignition this doesn't happen.

It's a no-brainer to upgrade. Points are a hassle and an ancient design for a high-performance motorcycle. You deserve better!

Dyna S ignition 17 Jan 2007 18:53 #106507

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Excellent description, floridamba.

I'm sure deposits could form on the insulator and leak to ground, but that's a pretty long path so I'm not sure what real effect it would have. However, just a few bad misfires and it becomes a pretty short path.

Even with the condensers you still get some arcing at the points, which eventually ruins your spark anyways.

Yes, another vote for electronic ignition.

Dyna S ignition 17 Jan 2007 19:43 #106520

• Bluemeanie
  • User
So will my Andrews coils (3.1 ohms)work with the $120 Dyna S that Z1 sells?

• Page: