Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S Ignition: Install now, or after engine overhaul? 08 Jan 2007 15:41 #104289

• Skyman
  • Skyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
I am in the middle of a top-end overhaul on my KZ1000. I've got it all apart right now, and am waiting for rings, gaskets, valves, etc. from Z1 to arrive later this week.

Last night, I bought a new Dyna-S ignition on E-Bay. I've been contemplating on whether to install the new ignition now, along with all the other work I am doing on the engine and carbs, or if I should first get the engine put back together, get it started with the points ignition to make sure all my work on the engine and carbs was done right before installing the electronic ignition.

Part of me wants to take it one step at a time, to make it easier to diagnose any problems, if they occur.

The other part of me dreams of that moment when I have finished all the work, got it all back together, and it fires up and purrs on the first try.

WWJD? (What would ju do?)
West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S Ignition: Install now, or after engine overhaul? 08 Jan 2007 15:42 #104290

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
if you spent the money on the new ignition, might as well use it..my opinion for what its worth! either way, good luck!

Dyna S Ignition: Install now, or after engine overhaul? 08 Jan 2007 17:22 #104307

• godsjester71
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
For me, I resonate best with your second want, to be able to slap it all together and wish that it will work. Experience tells me with computers, it will neverwork (tho it is getting better lately) but I still try for it.

You first option, one at a time, makes the most sense, but does sitting ontop of a motorized gas tank make sense?

Me? Put the monster together, cross your fingers, say your prayer, and turn that key!

Dyna S Ignition: Install now, or after engine overhaul? 08 Jan 2007 19:41 #104347

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I do like the idea of setting it up with the old stuff that you KNOW worked in it's old configuration but I am foolish enough to put the new Dyna in. Your hands are gonna be dirty aaaaaanywaaaay and the tools will all be out AND everything!B)
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: