Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

750/4 starter/starting problem 16 Dec 2006 13:18 #100017

• maj75
  • maj75's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a GPz750R1 project. It was not running when I bought it. I have gone through the bike, bought more NOS parts than I care to admit, had the carbs rebuilt by WG, and replaced the carb holders and clamps.

Big day today, try to get her running. Checked for spark, OK. Checked battery, OK. Check gas, OK. Hit starter, and the enging turns over, but won't start. Wants to run, even seems like it fired a few times, but won't catch. Then the starter starts making a chattering noise when its engaged, and stops spinning the motor.

I just tried again, the bike barely ran for 5 seconds, but the starter sounds worse than ever. It will spin the motor a few tries, but then seems to start making this noise. The starter motor sounds like it is turning while the noise is happening.

I hate to tear everything back apart, but it looks as though I may have to. Does this sound like a starter problem or a starter clutch problem? What is easiest way to isolate the problem?

The bike has dino oil in it. I did a search, but no one really described the sound.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

750/4 starter/starting problem 22 Dec 2006 18:34 #101270

• roystaylor
  • User
Is your battery fully charged and connections clean and tight? Chattering starters usually mean low voltage from one of these avenues. Make sure the ground connection is good from the battery to frame too.

750/4 starter/starting problem 27 Dec 2006 19:12 #102115

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
As far as not starting,what happenbs when you kick it over?
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

750/4 starter/starting problem 26 Feb 2007 09:51 #115549

• Bdog
  • User
  • Sweep the leg johnny!!!
  • Thank you received: 9
Wouldn't be a starter on this maodel, my 80 750e doesn't have one at least. My starter makes an awful noise, like a grinding howl, but then it fires and I quickly forget. Until I shut it off downtown adn then must start it again. Damn. I swapped the starter and plantary gears from a gpz and got the same reaction, so I just live with it.

Bdog
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/338400-a-little-bit-of-an-upgrade

'77 KZ650-C1 -- build
810 kit
GPZ cams and carbs
ZX6R front end
GSXR600 Rear
Kerker
Dyna
Accel
ContiMotion tires (120/60-17&170/60-17)

750/4 starter/starting problem 26 Feb 2007 09:58 #115550

• Bdog
  • User
  • Sweep the leg johnny!!!
  • Thank you received: 9
Wouldn't be a starter on this maodel, my 80 750e doesn't have one at least. My starter makes an awful noise, like a grinding howl, but then it fires and I quickly forget. Until I shut it off downtown adn then must start it again. Damn. I swapped the starter and plantary gears from a gpz and got the same reaction, so I just live with it.

Bdog
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/338400-a-little-bit-of-an-upgrade

'77 KZ650-C1 -- build
810 kit
GPZ cams and carbs
ZX6R front end
GSXR600 Rear
Kerker
Dyna
Accel
ContiMotion tires (120/60-17&170/60-17)

750/4 starter/starting problem 26 Feb 2007 10:02 #115551

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Any chance you have the wrong wire going to the wrong coil ? If you have the wires mixed up you can see good spark but will never get the engine to run as each plug will be sparking at the wrong time. Only other thing I can think of is compression. Have you tested compression?

Where are you located ? Is it cold ? Every March when I dig the bike out of the shed and try to start her up for the first ride of the season it can be a bu**er to get started. Once I put a heater in front of the motor for a half hour - that helped.

Unfortunately I dont know much about starter motors. Mine does make a noise from time to time but as long as it turns over the motor a few times that should be enough to get her going.

Good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

750/4 starter/starting problem 26 Feb 2007 10:29 #115560

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
starter clutch pieces.
springs, spring ends, cylinders, and inner collar. on the end of the left side of the crank. under/ behind the rotor

starter spins/grinds but does not rotate the not the crank right?

750/4 starter/starting problem 26 Feb 2007 11:22 #115580

• lowbuck
  • User
Check and double check what JR says. I replaced bad coils on my 750 and f'd around for 3 or four hours (lots of backfiring, coughing, starter engage/disengage noise) before I rechecked and found my leads crossed. Started immediately after that!

750/4 starter/starting problem 26 Feb 2007 11:22 #115581

• lowbuck
  • User
Check and double check what JR says. I replaced bad coils on my 750 and f'd around for 3 or four hours (lots of backfiring, coughing, starter engage/disengage noise) before I rechecked and found my leads crossed. Started immediately after that!

• Page: